Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > PA Fall Foliage Report

Date: 10/13/21 12:15
PA Fall Foliage Report
Author: eastpenn23

Curious on everyone's take on how the fall foliage currrently is on the NS West slope and CSX Sand patch areas? It seems to be turning late this year, which is concerning for getting good color. The PA gov site has most areas still a couple weeks away from reaching best color.

https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/Conservation/ForestsAndTrees/FallFoliageReports/Pages/default.aspx

Date: 10/13/21 12:17
Re: PA Fall Foliage Report
Author: Lackawanna484

The Virtual Railfan webcam feed for  Horseshoe Curve shows growing color, prob 40%.  Not as vivid as some years

Date: 10/13/21 12:45
Author: cinder

Sand Patch - Mance is very poor & very late.  Only one light frost near the top of the grade & maples are muted.  The usual peak is October 11-18, but not his year.

1   Mance - 10/11/04.
2.  Mance - 10/18/05
2.  Mance - 10/16/06 

Date: 10/13/21 12:56

4.  Keyston Viaduct - !0/11/08

Date: 10/13/21 18:28
Author: MdRailfan

Oh my! What the Cap. Ltd has become.

Date: 10/14/21 11:41
Author: ns1000

On the side of HSC.....patchy at best.

Up near Gallitzin, there is some color.

West Slope....dull/past peak/still some green trees.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/14/21 17:35
Author: RuleG

MdRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh my! What the Cap. Ltd has become.

I am far more alarmed by the very warm temperatures this late in Fall and lack of freezing overnight temperatures to trigger the changes in lead colors.

Date: 10/14/21 19:16

Are you implying "Global Warming" RuleG?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/21 19:16 by cinder.

Date: 10/15/21 03:49
Author: march_hare

For what it’s worth here in upstate NY, this is by far the latest first frost we have had since my family has owned this property ( since 1946). I’m still harvesting tomatoes and broccoli in Mid-October!

And yes, that means that the fall colors on Richmondville really suck. 

Date: 10/15/21 04:05
Author: DJ-12

I just returned from 2 days along the CSX Mountain Sub in northern WV. Everything was still either green or turning brown. The only smidges of color to be had were at the highest elevations in places like Altamont and even then color was maybe 20% at best. In normal times this would have been peak for Altamont and Terra Alta and nice everywhere else. Overnight temps were in the high 50’s which simply is not cold enough to get the chemical changes in the leaves going to produce nice color. Same here in Pittsburgh where annuals in my front yard are still blooming. The prevailing weather has been west and humid more and more as instead of cool Canadian air we seem to get more and more wet soupy air from the Gulf. This also produces a lot more clouds and fewer clear crisp fall days.

This has happened several times In the past few years after a more “normal” fall last year. This is climate change in progress folks, and it sucks.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/21 04:11 by DJ-12.

Date: 10/15/21 10:02
Author: ns1000

NS Middle Division has patchy color/mostly green still.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/21 18:26
Author: RuleG

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you implying Global Warming RuleG?

Fixed it for you. 

With this unseasonably warm weather, I wonder if there will be worse bug infestations (i.e. spotted latternfly) and unsufficient snow cover this coming winter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/21 18:38 by RuleG.

Date: 10/16/21 05:55
Author: choodude

For decades, here in upstate Pennsylvania, first frost had been traditionally in the last week in September. The last few years, first frost had creeping a bit later, but this year is exceptional.

The way things are going - with lows at night predicted to be in the 40's through next week - I wouldn't guarantee first frost will even be in October.

Brian

Date: 10/16/21 06:22
Author: Lackawanna484

Come gather round people where ever you roam, and admit that the waters around you have grown....

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds