Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Golden Triangle Throwback: Columbus, Mississippi. 04/22/20

Date: 10/20/21 18:22
Golden Triangle Throwback: Columbus, Mississippi. 04/22/20
Author: Apalachicola721

Throwback to a beautiful April 2020 morning. Got up and went after the elusive Golden Triangle railroad just below Columbus, Mississippi. This was a fun, short chase and was on my list of some local favorites for the day. The usual schedule is around 8 am they leave the Weyerhauser plant headed north towards the KCS Tuscaloosa sub and will return around 9-9:30 if there is no work to be done at the diaper plant on the Tuscaloosa sub. Here's photos of them coming south after working their small yard and continue south to work Weyerhauser's plant which keeps them busy  days a week. The railroad has these two geeps and an MP15 which stays within the plant exception to rare occasions. A great railroad that I hope to return to soon, as much time as i've spent in Columbus railfanning over the last few years, i've only seen these guys a couple times. Enjoy!

Date: 10/20/21 18:24
Re: Golden Triangle Throwback: Columbus, Mississippi. 04/22/20

Here is an additional photo for the viewers.

Date: 10/21/21 11:28
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Neat shots, Michael!  I was in Columbus a few months ago and got skunked with a "didn't come up to interchange" day on the GTRA.  Those are getting more and more frequent in the shortline world as the Class 1 interchanges have become less predictable.

Interesting that 810 has what appears to be an Airchime K5HL "GEVO horn."  If it indeed is, I suspect that is quite sharp on an old traditional air valve instead of modern electronic pushbutton setup.

Thanks for posting your shots!

Mike Derrick

Date: 10/21/21 16:53
Author: ghemr

Great photos!

Date: 10/21/21 19:57

The 810 indeed does have a gevo horn. It’s interesting, nonetheless. I’m not sure how many days GTRA interchanges with KCS and others, but I’ll see if I can find out. I’d like to catch these elusive fella’s… they do go into downtown Columbus, FYI.

I’d also love to shoot them coming across the Tombigbee.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/27/21 11:25
Author: ewlanctot

What railroad serves the Nouryon Pulp and Performance Chemicals facility south of Columbus?

Date: 10/27/21 17:28

You found something I didn’t know was there. I haven’t paid much attention to AGR in south Columbus, though. Appears they have two switchers. Upon looking at google maps, this is served by AGR (Alabama and Gulf Coast) and the main from Columbus crosses the KCS Tuscaloosa sub (ABS) mainline. The ex Frisco main that AGR is on heads south to Pickensville, Aliceville and south to Boligee and Demopolis.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0311 seconds