Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sightseeing advice needed I-84 from Drums, PA to BOS

Date: 11/20/21 19:51
Sightseeing advice needed I-84 from Drums, PA to BOS
Author: rgzfan

Please

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/21 21:14 by rgzfan.

Date: 11/20/21 21:13
Re: SIghtseeing advice needed I-84 from Drums, PA to BOS
Author: pennsy3750

I used to drive between Altoona/State College and a Boston suburb when I was at PSU.  I liked to stop in Scranton and Danbury, CT, to split up the trip and pop into the museums in those two cities, but I'm not sure I'd try either one in a rig that long.  Port Jervis is another option (and marked the halfway point in my case) but the action is limited there, especially on weekends when there are fewer commuter trains. 

The area around the Hudson River crossing at Newburg/Beacon is another option, with CSX on the west bank and Amtrak on the east; Moodna Viaduct is also not too far off I-84.  This is probably the route I would go, if I were driving a long vehicle such as you describe.

Date: 11/21/21 03:23
Author: JPB

Pennsy3750's advice about the Highland NY bridge crossing of the Hudson River (~13 miles north of the I-84 crossing at Newburgh) on the ex-New Haven Maybrook line now know as the Walkway over the Hudson is excellent with fairly busy CSX freights on the West Shore and Amtrak/Metro North passenger trains on the East Shore (another good Hudson River crossing is the Bear Mountain bridge but that's a fair way off the I-84). And the photography is terrific. BUT it might be cold and windy perched 200+ feet above the river in November!

https://walkway.org/

Date: 11/21/21 05:37
Author: Passfanatic

Lots of railfan points of interests to see along your drive from Boston's Logan to Drums, PA. Assuming that you take 90 to 84 and then to 81, there are some nice rr points of interests. In and around Hartford, Ct, Amtrak's Springfield Line intersects with 84 through Downtown Hartford. Not a great neighborhood to be railfanning but there are some nice overpasses that go over the tracks. In Danbury, Ct, they have the rr museum which is very nice but not sure that it's open year round. MNR runs the shuttle trains from Danbury to and from S. Norwalk and many of those trains use a Brockville unit. The Walkway Over the Hudson Bridge is nice but still have a little bit of a ways to drive from 84-it can be done. If you don't want to drive up there but check out rail scenes around Beacon-the Metro North Station is a great place to railfan. There is a park north of the station where you can get nice pictures of southbounds in the afternoon. The CSX River Sub passes through Newburgh, located on the west shore of the Hudson opposite Beacon. The CSX River Sub is a rather busy line. Port Jervis has the restored Erie Depot plus a brand new high level platform. There are few freights through Pt. Jervis and not many passenger trains. NJT operates the passenger trains to Pt. Jervis but it's not unusual to see cars and engines with Metro North markings. A lot of older motive power(Geeps and F40s) run on the Pt. Jervis Line.

Date: 11/21/21 06:55
Author: AVR3001

I second the motion to take in the view from the ex-New Haven Poughkeepsie Bridge.  Walking across the bridge at a height over 200' above the river is well worth it for the non-railfan and for railfans, you get great rail scenery and plenty of trains to go with it.

Date: 11/21/21 07:49
Author: Lackawanna484

Great thread!

The former CNJ station in Scranton is located opposite the road leading into Steamtown. It is featured in the opening credits for The Office.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/21/21 14:50
Author: Lackawanna484

The trolley wire may belong to the Laurel Line / Electric City trolley which departs the SteamTown station.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/21/21 18:41
Author: BRAtkinson

Although I haven't parked my car at Boston Logan Airport in over 10 years, I strongly doubt you'll find any space for your truck + trailer.  Of course, it has to clear height restrictions in the multi-level parking lot.  You may find it necessary to park some distance away at an Blue line subway station and take that to Logan Airport to meet an inbound passenger.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0426 seconds