Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Nice November Day on the Chesapeake and Indiana

Date: 11/27/21 14:42
Nice November Day on the Chesapeake and Indiana
Author: WrongMain

We spent a nice Tuesday chasing the CKIN, the Chesapeake and Indiana, in northwest Indiana.  Only problem was there was nothing to chase.  The only thing moving was a former NS GP38-2 working at Thomaston, where the railroad interchanges with the NS's former NKP line.  We caught the great looking 6321, an original L&N SD40, now rebuilt to Dash-2 specs, at the small yard that the CKIN has just south of Hanna.  Later on at Union Mills, we found the 5115 sitting by the old B&O CPL that helps protect the diamonds at Wellsboro, where the CKIN interchanges with CSX.  The 5115 started life on the Southern and became a NS property.  Now, she's on the roster of the Indiana Boxcar company working for the CKIN and has been returned to the classic "tuxedo" scheme that she started life in.  Still in Union Mills by the elevator, we found former SD9 813, still wearing the colors of her original owner, the DMIR.  She still looks the same but is now called an SDM. MMMM, whatever.

Date: 11/27/21 15:16
Re: Nice November Day on the Chesapeake and Indiana
Author: jbohdan2

Your experience with the "Chicken"  (as CSX refers to the line), is typical.  I have an extensive collection of roster type shots of their power parked either around Union Mills or farther south.  It seems that when they are operating, they have mutiple moves on the same day.  A couple years back I caught that former L&N SD running long nose forward with a southbound grain pull to Thomaston.  I think they recently took delivery of another SD in that scheme that is set to replace the former EJ&E unit.  It is quite a collection.

Date: 11/27/21 15:23
Author: WrongMain

I was wondering about that second blue unit.  I think I spotted it at LaCrosse that morning, along with the 818, the "J" unit, both of them unshootable.

Date: 11/27/21 15:34
Author: krm152

Nice photo sries.  My favorite is #5115.  Saw so many SOU GP38-s's back in the 1970/80's that I got tired of them.  Seeing one now is super.
Thanks for your excellent photo posting.
ALLEN 

Date: 11/27/21 18:47
Author: ghemr

Thanks for posting these cool photos!

Date: 11/27/21 18:58
Author: tq-07fan

Nice pictures! It worked out you posted these so I don't have to post my pictures from Union Mills from Friday!

Jim

Date: 11/28/21 05:12
Author: retcsxcfm

When I was there back in September I got most of the roster.
Missed the SD40 in blue.I did not know about it.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 11/28/21 10:21
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 11/30/21 14:30
Author: MC6853

The shadow of the position light on the relay cabinet is amusing...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds