Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Pomona Yard late afternoon 12-01-2021 Heritage Alert

Date: 12/01/21 18:00
NS Pomona Yard late afternoon 12-01-2021 Heritage Alert
Author: TerrapinStation

Since I have exhausted the nearby crossing between Jamestown and Greensboro, I took the opportunity to head over to NS Pomona Yard late this afternoon.  Conditions for photography were poor with cloudy conditons and sunlight in the camera lens.  A crew was doing some switching with a pair of SD40-2's.  Sitting all alone was a boxcar which looked like it had been Montana Rail Link, but now has NS reporting mark.  Soon after, an intermodal came through heading eastbound  Photos weren't much good.  Then, somehow, I took notice of a green painted locomotive on the south side of the yard.  There was too much stuff in the way to tell what it was aside from it being 1072.  Again, not much of a photo.  Another car pulled up as I was trying to find another angle to see this thing from.  It was a mom and her 20 something? son.  I asked them if they knew and they stated it was the Illinois Terminal heritage unit and that it arrived today.  She researched it and found that it has been  workingbetween Raleigh and Charlotte over the last 3 days.  I then noticed another train waiting to the west on a non-mainline track.  It had a 7 engine lashup with only the first 4 online, the fourth being NS 3308, an EMD.  Eventually, they pulled forward while the yard switching operation pulled west.  Then it was time for Piedmont trains 76 and 77 to pass Pomona Yard.  77 came by first and being so close, photos were no good.  A few minutes later 76 came by and I was able to get one decent shot which was lightened at home.

Does anyone know when 1072 will be leaving Greensboro?

1) Former MRL boxcar, now NS.
2) NS 1072 buried behind old warning equipment and signals.
3) Train pulling up to do station work.

Terrapin Station.

Date: 12/01/21 18:03
Re: NS Pomona Yard late afternoon 12-01-2021 Heritage Alert
Author: TerrapinStation

4) Piedmont heading towrads Raleigh.

Date: 12/01/21 18:12
Author: steamloco

I noticed NS153 had 8 motors this afternoon headed south to Birmingham with about 1/2 off line. Must need power west, but a lot of BNSF and UP around too. Might be a nation wide shift of power back west?

Date: 12/02/21 07:49
Author: Mouse

Might be units headed for maintenance. How they move engines around is absurd. Birmingham does the mantenance on local units from North and South Carolina. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0979 seconds