Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Coil Steel Train on the Chicago Line

Date: 01/15/22 13:26
NS Coil Steel Train on the Chicago Line
Author: Seventyfive

Heads up on the NS Chicago Line.  Just saw an NS extra east pass the Chesterton, Indiana camera,
at 3:20pm CST with two NS leaders and the entire train was coil steel gons.  Sharp train.

Date: 01/15/22 15:04
Re: NS Coil Steel Train on the Chicago Line
Author: ironmtn

Probably the regular unit train that moves steel coils from Cliffs Indiana Harbor facilities (formerly Arcelor-Mittal) to the Cliffs Tek and Kote facility (formerly I/N Tek and I/N Kote) cold rolling plant at New Carlisle, Indiana, on NS track between La Porte and South Bend. There are daily unit trains which supply the impressive and busy New Carlisle facility. Info: https://www.clevelandcliffs.com/operations/steelmaking/tek-and-kote

MC

Date: 01/15/22 18:17
Author: colehour

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably the regular unit train that moves steel
> coils from Cliffs Indiana Harbor facilities
> (formerly Arcelor-Mittal) to the Cliffs Tek and
> Kote facility (formerly I/N Tek and I/N Kote) cold
> rolling plant at New Carlisle, Indiana,

I worked for Youngstown Sheet and Tube, Harbor Works, some 50 years ago. We produced coils of tin plate and black plate at the #2 tin mill which later was USS. I am presuming that the facilities mentioned in this post were formerly Inland Steel that eventually become Arcelor Mittal. YST and Inland were on opposite sides of the Indiana Harbor Ship Canal.

It was sad to see the decline of big steel, which I saw first hand, living in NW Indiana. Now smaller and more specialized companies like Cliffs and Nucor seem to be doing well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/22 06:35 by colehour.

Date: 01/15/22 19:25
Author: calumet

Yes, it sounds like the Cliffs-to-New Carlisle train.  I think its designation is B09.  It originates at IHB's Michigan Ave Yard and accesses the Chicago Line at CP502..

The returning empty train generally runs the same day a few hours after the loads arrive at NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/22 19:26 by calumet.

Date: 01/15/22 20:31
Author: jgilmore

colehour Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 I am presuming that the facilities
> mentioned in this post were formerly Inland Steel
> that eventually become Arcelor Mittal. 

Yes, started out in 1990 as a joint venture between Inland and Nippon Steel of Japan, thus the original I/N designation. Moved to ArcelorMittal and finally Cliffs, who bought out the Japanese when they took over a couple of years ago...

JG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds