Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Gold Coast Museum

Date: 05/04/22 11:01
Gold Coast Museum
Author: CPR_4000

What's going on with the Gold Coast Museum in Florida? A couple of their faux FEC and SAL diesels, as well as an FEC Pacific that's a sister to 148 on US Sugar, have been listed for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar. I can understand getting rid of the foobies, but an actual Florida steam locomotive? (It appears that they have two FEC Pacifics, 113 and 153. I guess one has been deemed surplus?)

Date: 05/04/22 22:44
Re: Gold Coast Museum
Author: krm152

I had pretty much the same reacxtion as you when I noticed they had equipment for sale.
ALLEN

Date: 05/05/22 04:54
Author: ctillnc

In a different world, the Toledo Museum of Art is taking heat for selling a Cézanne, a Matisse, and a Renoir. Anticipated proceeds are in the $60 million range. The museum wants to broaden their collection, they say.

Date: 05/05/22 07:23
Author: Lackawanna484

Some museums have found that selling "one off" pieces or works inconsistent with their overall collection is a good way to re-invest in their core strengths.

Having one work by Picasso in a museum filled with works by Cy Twombly and Andy Warhol might not be the best use of that asset.

Date: 05/05/22 07:47
Author: dan

I figured the gcm had a lot of wealthy donors, but perhaps they have aged out.

Date: 05/07/22 07:31
Author: New773

Isn’t the museum at the end of a CSX branch that’s no longer wanted? I thought the story was that museum was winding down to close? If you look, there’s A LOT of equipment from that museum for sale.

Date: 05/07/22 16:17
Author: Topfuel

New773 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn’t the museum at the end of a CSX branch
> that’s no longer wanted? I thought the story was
> that museum was winding down to close? If you
> look, there’s A LOT of equipment from that
> museum for sale.

But it seems that the prices are high and not very negotiable.  They have been for sale for several years and I don't know if much of anything has sold.  So they don't seem to really need to sell any of that stuff.

Date: 05/07/22 17:21
Author: ts1457

Very curious. The museum has a number of nice pieces and some indoor storage:

OUR RAILCARS (goldcoastrailroadmuseum.org)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/22 22:26 by ts1457.

Date: 05/07/22 20:31
Author: Kemacprr

Didn't they have a ex PRR RS-3 the 8604 I believe. I know it was at a museum in Florida. ---- Ken 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds