Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What's your number?

Date: 05/12/22 03:40
What's your number?
Author: santafe199

On a 2019 swing east of the Mississippi I found this old PRR caboose somewhere in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. As I remember, it was a pure grab shot while passing through town enroute from Altoona to an overnight stay in the Pittsburgh area. Some help with the actual caboose # would be most appreciated...

1. PRR caboose 000000 on display(?) in Johnstown, PA on May 13, 2019.

Thanks for the help!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 05/12/22 09:00
Re: What's your number?
Author: Mudrock

Date: 05/12/22 10:01

Mudrock Wrote: > ... (CKIN) #13 ...

Thanks for that. So........ this was or wasn't an original PRR caboose?

Lance/199

Date: 05/12/22 15:07
Author: Mudrock

While the website I gave listed it as Chesapeake and Indiana, I think it may be Cambria and Indiana.  See http://www.trainweb.org/cambriaindiana/ci_photos.htm and scroll about three-quarters of the way down the page.

Chris

Date: 05/12/22 15:11
Author: Gonut1

Lance,
It definitely started life as a PRR N5 Cabin Car, can't help with tracing numbers not knowing the history of how this got to where it was when you captured it. Seems that considering it is inJohnstown hard on the original PRR mainline, that it would have some facsimile of the original PRR lettering!
Gonut

Date: 05/12/22 22:46

Gonut1 Wrote: > ... definitely started life as a PRR N5 Cabin Car ...
Although I appreciate the effort(s), it was indeed the original PRR # I was hoping to learn. Puch comes to shove, I'll use the shortline # Chris found. Either way, I like your: " in Johnstown hard on the original PRR mainline" sentiment. Part of my fascination with the PRR stared in my childhood, reading about the horrible Johnstown Flood way back when. Driving through the area nowadays I can see how the floodwater washed down the canyon creating such devastation...

Lance

Date: 05/13/22 13:32
Author: ChrisCampi

:-)

Date: 05/13/22 20:56

ChrisCampi Wrote: > ...  :-) ...

Nahhh....... they white-washed the number off of that wall about 20 years ago. Rumor has it she could no longer do any gardening...

;^)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds