Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Visiting Cumberland Md questions

Date: 06/19/22 17:47
Visiting Cumberland Md questions
Author: CSX1346

Ladies and Gents,
I will be taking a trip to Cumberland soon.  I have reservations on the Western Md Railroad.  Is there a hotel in view of the tracks, railfan locations and any other things(must do) I should visit while in Cumberland?   Also, what are the railraod frequencies I need for my scanner?  I will be there for 2.5 days.  Thanks for the information.

Russ Austin

Date: 06/19/22 17:58
Re: Visiting Cumberland Md questions
Author: grlhughes

Do you want to stay in Cumberland or do you want someplace by the tracks about 20 miles away where CSX westbounds put on a show heading upgrade? Also, the former big fast food chain called Roy Rogers has one in downtown Cumberland. Hornet's Nest Pizza up in Hyndman is still my favorite place to eat in that area. 
Here is the one downtown.
https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/ramada/cumberland-maryland/ramada-cumberland-downtown/overview?CID=LC:RA::GGL:RIO:National:48067&iata=00093796

Here is the one in Fairhope. Tracks across the creek and a bench to sit at is a short walk up the road. 
https://www.vrbo.com/2452921?noDates=true&unitId=3021417

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/22 18:01 by grlhughes.

Date: 06/19/22 18:11
Author: stevelv

I'll second the hotel suggestion from grlhughes.  Just ask for a railroad side room 5th floor or higher to look down on the CSX main across the road.  It's about a 10 minute drive to the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, 

Date: 06/19/22 18:20
Author: pennsy3750

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  It's about a 10 minute drive to
> the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, 

I think you mean a 10-minute *walk* to the WMSR from the Ramada, if it's even that far.

Try the crab cakes at the Baltimore Street Grill, it's also within walking distance.

Sand Patch and the Magnolia Cutoff are each about a 30-minute drive from downtown, in different directions.  If those don't float your boat, the Potomac Eagle is also a nice ride, and not far from Cumberland.

Date: 06/19/22 18:26
Author: TomG

Just don't eat at the Chinese buffet after 930 at night. Trust me, worst food on my coast to coast drive. I had to pick up a bus from David Thomas in Philadelphia and return to California and it was all we could find that wasn't fast food. Im sure it wouls have been much more tasty around 6pm.

Incidentally other than seeing a pair of nesting NS geeps outside Philly, we didnt see one train till Winnemucca Nevada. It was a last minute assignment, didnt even know how close I was to some great East Coast goodies and past right on by without knowing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/22 18:33 by TomG.

Date: 06/20/22 08:27
Author: P

I just went through this exercise. There appears to only be 2 hotels in downtown Cumberland.

The old Holiday Inn is apparently now a Ramada and sits adjacent to the mainline through town. It has long been a railfan favorite due to its location. Looks like a relatively short walk to the WMSR also. By reading reviews of this hotel and the fact that Holiday Inn bailed on it tells me that the standards have lowered somewhat, but for a single railfan, it likely would be acceptable.

Since I'm bringing family, we upgraded to the Fairfield Inn which is about a block from the WMSR, and pretty close to the CSX main, although you can't see much from the hotel itself.

We'll be there in a couple of weeks and will ride both the WMSR and the Potomac Eagle - which is about a 35 minute drive away.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/20/22 11:21
Author: DJ-12

P Wrote:
> I just went through this exercise. There appears
> to only be 2 hotels in downtown Cumberland.
>
> The old Holiday Inn is apparently now a Ramada and
> sits adjacent to the mainline through town. It
> has long been a railfan favorite due to its
> location. Looks like a relatively short walk to
> the WMSR also. By reading reviews of this hotel
> and the fact that Holiday Inn bailed on it tells
> me that the standards have lowered somewhat, but
> for a single railfan, it likely would be
> acceptable.
>
> Since I'm bringing family, we upgraded to the
> Fairfield Inn which is about a block from the
> WMSR, and pretty close to the CSX main, although
> you can't see much from the hotel itself.
>
> We'll be there in a couple of weeks and will ride
> both the WMSR and the Potomac Eagle - which is
> about a 35 minute drive away.
>
> Posted from Android

It's been several years since I've stayed at the Holiday Inn now Ramada but your summation is about right. The building dates from the early 70s and it looks that way. The rooms were fine and clean, but everything was dated and a bit worn. When I stayed, a full sit down breakfast was included in your room price but that was PRE COVID. I have no way of knowing if there have been renovations since then, but assuming there haven't been, manage expections accordingly. On the upside, the location can't be beat and a high floor facing the tracks is always enjoyable.

Date: 06/21/22 14:52

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  The Ramada is open but undergoing some renovations and the cabin that was suggested is booked during our stay.  Does anyone know the RxR frequencies for the WMCR and CSX?
Thanks,
Russ

Date: 06/21/22 15:05
Author: DTWilson

CSX1346 Wrote:
> Thanks for all of the suggestions.  The Ramada is
> open but undergoing some renovations and the cabin
> that was suggested is booked during our stay. 
> Does anyone know the RxR frequencies for the WMCR
> and CSX?
> Thanks,
> Russ

Dispatcher BB - Covers Cumberland: 161.5200
Dispatcher BF - Covers Mountain Sub from Cumberland to Grafton: 160.3200
CSX Road Channel: 160.2300
WMSR: 160.6950
WMSR: 160.8450

Date: 06/22/22 06:21

Thanks,
Russ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds