Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > It's All Orange and Black Again....

Date: 06/19/22 19:18
It's All Orange and Black Again....
Author: jbohdan2

On Saturday, June 18th, I took advantage of clear skies and low humidity to head over to Ohio again with a view toward basing the day out of Deshler, Ohio and letting chips fall where they may.  CSX was moderately active, but it was some radio traffic heard about one hour after my arrival that caught my attention.  A southbound grain extra move on the Indiana & Ohio was calling the CSX dispatcher, seeking permission to cross the former B&O at Hamler, Ohio, a short distance back to my west.  I regularly check out the I&O during my forays into Ohio from my home in Fort Wayne, IN, but catching activity on the former DT&I line has always been hard for me, dating back to when I first visited under Grand Trunk Western control in the mid-90s.  It was a no brainer that I would backtrack to Hamler to chase this train.  I arrived in plenty of time to get the first series of shots as the standard cab helmed train emerged south of Hamler.  Though not an exact match for the original operator DT&I orange, I like the parent G&W corporate scheme just fine.  The train moved at a very leisurely pace on the dated stick rail down toward Leipsic, Ohio, where the poor crew would suffer an interminable wait to cross the Norfolk Southern and then gain their trackage rights access to the former B&O on the south side of town.  After waiting over an hour, I gave up at Leipsic and went further south toward Ottawa and Lima for lunch and gas respectively.  Hours later, I caught the same train again at South Ottawa and Columbus Grove, Ohio, where the I&O units could open up on CSX's heavier ribbon rail. 

Date: 06/19/22 19:32
Re: It's All Orange and Black Again....
Author: jbohdan2

Crossing Cranberry Creek, south of Ottawa, Ohio.

Date: 06/19/22 19:39
Author: cabsignaldrop

Nice pictures! It is rare to catch something on the old DT&I.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/19/22 21:53
Author: refarkas

First-rate photos - You made great use of your time.
Bob

Date: 06/20/22 04:24
Author: jmbreitigan

A very nice series. Glad you were able to get something on this trackage.I like your first photo.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/22 04:25 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 06/20/22 07:14
Author: MILW86A

Excellent! Good catches! 
MILW86A 

Date: 06/20/22 15:47
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds