Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Another Weekend in Lake Erie Land

Date: 06/20/22 12:26
Another Weekend in Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

I have been less than inspired lately, spending many hours trackside with nothing to show for it and coming in to hear them unleash the hounds. But even then, the past week there doesn't seem to be too many hounds and it has gotten frustrating also with that high summer sun.

So a few of the few I've captured over the last week or so to share.

1. A 24M roars past the depot in Vermilion OH on June 14, 2022 with NS 9844 and NS 9709 as power.

2. & 3. Algoma Transport is at the Sandusky coal docks to load. This boat went to Hamilton, Ontario. Taken on June 18th. Power is twin M.A.N. type 8L40/54A 8-cylinder diesel engines rated at 10,000 total b.h.p. driving a controllable pitch propeller.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/22 13:28 by train1275.

Date: 06/20/22 12:32
Re: Another Weekend in Lake Erie Land

From June 18th:

4. NS 7517 on the 16G is tied down at Shinrock, OH on the Nickel Plate. Haze, heat waves, high sun and nothing moving. This photo kind of sums it up. Crew shortages, MOW work and power shortages have been reported. At any rate, things have been pretty messed up. 

5. Finally, a train on the move with halfway decent light. The 21Z is at Risden Road west of Vermilion. This is where the new connector peels off from the Chicago Line east to the Nickel Plate east. Power is NS 7565 and 4306.

6. Another view of the 21Z above showing the connector for those interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/22 18:31 by train1275.

Date: 06/20/22 12:37

7. Another boat in for loading at Sandusky, this one is the CSL Niagara on June 19th. There have been quite a few coal trains seen on the move. I think much of this coal comes out of Shire Oaks. This boat left Sandusky today (June 20th) and also shows bound for Hamilton, Ontario. Propulsion is 2 Pielstick V-10 cylinder diesel engines each rated at 4,500. b.h.p. 

8. I don't know what the loading rate here is, but it goes quickly. These hoppers are mtys coming back down from the unloader.

9. A closer look as a car is on the unloader ramp. If anyone has any detailed info on how all this works, I'd be interested as access is limited.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/22 13:42 by train1275.

Date: 06/20/22 12:45

10. A nice view can also be had of the boats from across the bayfront area from Meigs Pier as seen here about a mile and a half away.

11. Train 316 is about in its normal time slot today, Monday June 20th (between 1pm and 2pm) and caught here at Beaver Park Marina on the NKP west of Lorain with BNSF 4995 and 3887.

12. Seems the boat traffic is a better catch than the trains. Caught the "American Courage" off Vermilion on the way back from shooting the 316 above. The Courage was coming out of Marblehead with a load of limestone bound for Cleveland. This boat is two SD45's on water with two 20-645 EMD engines.

Maybe I'll get more enthused in the days ahead. Thanks for looking.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/22 13:39 by train1275.

Date: 06/20/22 13:21
Author: Gonut1

From what I can tell from your photos and aerial Googles this looks like a Mc Myler Dumper. 
There is a heating shed for thawing of frozen loads winter. A trackmobile pushes one load at a time forward where a "Larry" car (also called a "Pig Block") between the rails rides up behind the loaded hopper and with cable power pushes it up a ramp into the car dumper. The dumper rolls the car sideways to dump it into a conveyor system to fill the silos or diverted to "on the ground" storage. In this unloader it appears the car can also, while in the dumper be elevated higher, and dumped directly down a chute into the hold of a ship. Once the car is back at the track level it is released down a ramp toward the lake where it rolls up a kick-back ramp and changes direction, returns toward the unloader but is diverted though a spring switch and routed into the empty hopper yard. With htis unloader they can dump 1 car every 2-1/2 minutes. I suspect that this particular facility can also flood load from the silo and perhaps the ground storage as well.
 I am open to corrrection from anyone who has actual experience with the Sandusky facility.
 Hopefully the Summer Doldrums doesn't get any worse before things begin to improve. In the interim seeing the lake boats is a nice blend of interest.
Gonut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/22 13:40 by Gonut1.

Date: 06/20/22 17:00
Author: bath_wildcat

Good to see you post again. I was at the Festival of the Fish with Operation Lifesaver, which I'll be there for the wollybear festival October 2nd. I need to get my pics up from Friday and Saturday.

So in a way the wife and I invaded you guys again, lol.

Awesome pics by the way.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 06/20/22 17:08

We got out of town for that festival !
I am not into all that many people.

We will have to meet up again, but less crowded situation.

Date: 06/20/22 18:18
Author: bath_wildcat

Friday wasn't that bad but Saturday was popping. Didn't get back Sunday as needed rest.

If sometime you guys are up for meeting g the wife and I at the soda shop there in Vermillion we would be honored.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 06/20/22 19:14
Author: scoobydoobydoo

where is the shire oaks coal mine located

Date: 06/20/22 20:10
Author: Gonut1

Hi Scooby,

Not really a Shire Oaks mine but Shire Oaks is an ex-Conrail Yard where coal trains from the former Monongehela RR (Joint NS/SCX) congregate before moving to many different destinations. 
There are several mines in Southwestern Pennsylvania where the coal originates, some recently closed, others recently opened or reactivated. It is metalurgical coal so many steel mills in North America receive it and likely, with Russia invading the Ukraine, many Eurasian steel plants going forward.

Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds