Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Toast to SA-31 and The Southern Secondary

Date: 06/30/22 19:46
A Toast to SA-31 and The Southern Secondary
Author: NYSW1904

For those not aware, Conrail took its last run down the Southern Secondary to Lakewood today.  Starting tomorrow the C&D will take over with many changes coming on the horizon.  Anyway, having grown up in Monmouth County I have chased that train since I was a kid (back when Conrail was Conrail).  Although the once mighty CNJ Southern Division that hosted long freights and the famed Blue Comet has dwindled to poor track and a few customers, she still holds up for her age.  I doubt this transfer will garner any headlines so I thought it appropriate to mention it here. So, I offer a toast to Conrail for the many years of great service.  Also, a toast to the men and women of the Central Railroad of New Jersey that operated the line prior to Conrail.  Finally, best wishes to the Chesapeake and Delaware as they assume control and begin work on now dormant sections of rail in Monmouth County.  Here is to hoping there is some new business out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/22 19:46 by NYSW1904.

Date: 06/30/22 20:23
Re: A Toast to SA-31 and The Southern Secondary
Author: pdt

Happy to see CASO (Conrail) go.  They are just a terminal RR owned by CSX and NS, bit of whom have no interest in carload freight.   Its a wonder they havent told the few consignees left, to just "truck your stuff down from our convenient transfer pad new Newark, and abandoned all the branch lines in the area.,

Its hard to bring industry back to New Jersey, or get existing industries to go back to rail....but hop[ing for the best for C&D/  The Delaware and Raritan River RR

Date: 07/01/22 06:21
Author: Lackawanna484

Hard to believe that line was once a high speed rail connection from Red Bank to Atlantic City.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/01/22 07:05
Author: pdt

Easy to believe when u look at how much abandoned RR mainline there is in this country. 

Date: 07/01/22 07:41
Author: Lackawanna484

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Easy to believe when u look at how much abandoned
> RR mainline there is in this country. The

Yes.

Every election season of two NJ seems to float the idea of passenger rail service on this line

Then it goes away

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds