Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dillon SC and Aberdeen & Rockfish info please

Date: 07/02/22 03:14
Dillon SC and Aberdeen & Rockfish info please
Author: dan7366

The annual trip to Purgatory has arrived and I'll be looking for some chance to escape for a bit.  I'm wondering what unit train traffic on CSX through Dillon looks like currently.  The regularly scheduled trains I count 16 of daily, six of which are Amtrak.  Also, if anyone could provide current operating information for the Aberdeen & Rockfish, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Date: 07/02/22 08:44
Re: Dillon SC and Aberdeen & Rockfish info please
Author: boejoe

T O member 'scraphauler' has very good info on A&R.  If he doesn't see your request, consider a private message.
jb

Date: 07/02/22 18:30
Author: alto_towerbob

Where is Purgatory?  Myrtle Beach????

Bob

Date: 07/02/22 18:52
Author: irhoghead

Must be the mother in law's.

Date: 07/03/22 04:12
Author: dan7366

Yes, Myrtle.
Nope, no mother in law. Never got to meet her. Sister in law tends to be the snake in my garden.

Dan

Posted from Android

Date: 07/03/22 06:16
Author: Northern

Is Hamlet worth going to?  Or Pembroke north of Dillon?  How many trains go through there?  

Date: 07/03/22 07:03
Author: Lackawanna484

If you are into old architecture, Dillon SC has a lot of that in downtown. Looks like it is still 1955.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/22 12:19
Author: cockaboose

4 daily Amtraks, not 6.

Date: 07/05/22 12:41
Author: ctillnc

The museum at the Hamlet depot is worth seeing. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way just to visit Hamlet. The elimination of coal trains and the implementation of PSR has really cut into the volume of trains there. The ACL museum in Wilmington is also worth visiting, although you won't see much train activity in Wilmington except the slow-moving transfers to the Port that tie up traffic and irritate the local citizens. 

Date: 07/05/22 13:07
Author: Lackawanna484

In 1898, Wilmington NC was the site of the only known succesful coup in the USA. A group of concerned citizens overthrew the biracial elected city council, burned a dozen businesses, killed 60 people, and installed their own segregationist council.

Voting registrations for many Black folks vanished...

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/22 16:33
Author: scraphauler

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> T O member 'scraphauler' has very good info on
> A&R.  If he doesn't see your request, consider a
> private message.
> jb

Not too familiar with the Fayetteville end of the A&R. The Aberdeen end has multiple covered hopper transloading location surrounding the engine house. Movement is as needed by the transloads. Vast majority of the transload traffic interchanges with CSX there in Aberdeen. From Aberdeen to Raeford generally only sees light power movements to and from shop in Aberdeen with the very rare freight car. All of A&R is easily viewable from public roads in Aberdeen.

The S line from Hamlet to Raleigh only has 4 scheduled trains daily - freights L619 and L620 and passengers P091 and P092. Those are joined by a pair of B series stone trains between Hamlet and Sanford which run ever other or every third day. And multiple G series trains run between Hamlet and Aberdeen to/from ACWR as needed (sometime more than one a day). Additionally, if the ACWR traffic is too heavy for L619/L620, a Y series job out of Hamlet will come up to work the interchange. Certainly not hot spot busy, but not uncommon to have two CSX movements (or s CSX/Amtrak meet), an ACWR movement, and A&R putting around at the same time in Aberdeen

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/22 16:39 by scraphauler.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds