Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Summerail vs Winterail?

Date: 07/30/22 14:39
Summerail vs Winterail?
Author: RRBMail

Does an TOs that have attended both Summerail (Ohio) and Winterail (Oregon) have an opinion which slide /video shows are better and which rail swap meets are better? I have the choice going to one only. Thanks in advance. 

Date: 07/30/22 15:02
Re: Summerail vs Winterail?
Author: 3rdswitch

In MY experience. BOTH video SHOWS are very comparable, the lacking in Summerail is swap meet portion. In my only two visits very little to buy.
JB

Date: 07/30/22 19:20
Author: BobE

3rdswitch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In MY experience. BOTH video SHOWS are very
> comparable, the lacking in Summerail is swap meet
> portion. In my only two visits very little to
> buy.
> JB

I disagree with this completely.  If you are looking for Western timetables, slides, prints, then Summerail is lacking.  It is hardly lacking considering the floor space devoted to the swap meet and the number of dealer tables is larger.

At their core, both are high-quality slideshows.  They are also big social events if you know people at one of the shows.  I've been to both more than once, but Summerail is preferable to me because I know almost everyone there.

If you don't, pick based on where the show is and what options you have for non-show days.  Winterail is a few hours' drive from the Columia River Gorge, for example.  Summerail is close to Ohio's myriad diamonds (such as Fostoria or Deshler) or, at the cost of some driving, the railfan mecca of Chicago.

BobE

Date: 07/30/22 22:21
Author: exopr

I agree with BobE and want to add that Marion has the restored depot and AC Tower with CSX and NS going by. 

Date: 08/01/22 07:16
Author: ICG

A little bit off the subject...
Does anyone know if the Autumn Leaf Railroad Slide Show in Centralia WA will happen this year ?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/22 00:00
Author: Fr8engineer

^ I don't want to speak for the fine people who put on the Leaf show, but when I asked some people from that "circle" a while back, the response was along the lines of...."it's not coming back."

I went in '18 and '19 and it was some the most fun I've ever had. I presented at '19.

I've never been to Summerail, but would like to someday. Winterail is excellent, but I couldn't make it to the double show this year.

Date: 08/04/22 10:21
Author: CedarRapids

I hope that is not true about Autumn Leaf.  I went to three (2017 to 2019) and had a fantastic time at each. Shows were excellent and I made three friends at the 2017 event.

Elizabeth

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds