Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Baldwin Empties on the Old IC

Date: 09/16/22 18:18
Baldwin Empties on the Old IC
Author: MaryMcPherson

I was driving to central Illinois today, and had a bit of a chase with northbound BNSF Baldwin Empties headed north to Centralia, Illinois, on Canadiana National's former Illinois Central.  These trains run to and from a power plant at Baldwin, reached by taking the Centralia and St. Louis Subdivisions.  Reaching the north-south Centralia Sub at DuQuoin, they head north to Centralia where they regain BNSF rails.

1. I saw the rear of this train as I crossed the tracks at DuQuoin and after negotiating some traffic that seemed to believe the posted speed limit is something to be aspired to but never reached in our lifetime, I was able to get ahead of the train by Ashley.  The gates activated about twenty seconds after I arrived.

2-3. Not far north of Ashley, I was surprised to note I had already overtaken the train.  As the train slowed for Irvington, I pulled over and shot the train one more time from U.S. 51.  Irvington is the south end of the Centralia double-track.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds