Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dunn Paper in Port Huron to close 11/18/22

Date: 09/22/22 04:11
Dunn Paper in Port Huron to close 11/18/22
Author: JPB

For those who like to watch trains as well as lakers, tugs, and salties pass the Port Huron River live cam on the St Clair River at the foot of the Blue Water Bridge to/from Sarnia, ON, the opportunity to watch the weekly Lake State Railway local switch Dunn Paper in Port Huron MI is dwindling, unfortunately. Here are 3 screen captures off the live cam from 8/10/22.

https://www.thetimesherald.com/story/news/2022/09/21/dunn-paper-to-close-port-huron-mill-after-98-years/69509801007/

And Domtar Paper in Port Huron, also served by Lake State Railway, closed in 2021, leaving apparently only one rail customer north of the Black River drawbridge, CDW Consulting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/22 04:19 by JPB.

Date: 09/22/22 05:04
Re: Dunn Paper in Port Huron to close 11/18/22
Author: march_hare

Hmm, what does a consulting company do that requires rail service?  

(Both my wife and I worked for consulting companies and I suppose some of the BS we produced was so voluminous that it might fill a boxcar...)

Date: 09/22/22 08:00
Author: JPB

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm, what does a consulting company do that
> requires rail service?  
>
> (Both my wife and I worked for consulting
> companies and I suppose some of the BS we produced
> was so voluminous that it might fill a boxcar...)

LOL!

CDW Consulting in Port Huron apparently is involved in warehousing and logistics. They load/unload liquids into/from rail cars as well as facilitate dry bulk transloading.

https://cdwconsultingusa.com/

Date: 09/22/22 13:50
Author: PRR1361

What the heck is that ship in the background?

Date: 09/22/22 14:20
Author: TCnR

PRR1361 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the heck is that ship in the background?
>  

Traditional ship heavily squished by a telephoto lens. There is a large conveyor belt structure that swings over a dock to 'self unload', they also have an auger system at the bottom of the hold to pull material onto the convey er lift system. They often lower small tractors into the hold to get that last bit of material into the auger.

It's pretty standard for 'Lake Boats' that carry ore, gravel, grains, cement, etc.

Date: 09/22/22 18:03
Author: CCMF

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds