Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Three different states and a Mallet...WMSR 1309

Date: 10/02/22 15:38
Three different states and a Mallet...WMSR 1309
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Started vacation for nine days and decided to go to the Western Maryland Scenic Railway to get the 1309 steam locomotive. Called my friend in Mansfield, Ohio to see if he wanted to go and he said yes. I said be at my place at 0500 and we will try this. My wife did want me to go alone due to my diagnosis of PPMS; the friend that was supposed to go bailed on me as the rain was a factor; to be honest I believed the rainy  atmosphere contributed immensely to the scene. First two pictures are at Jewell Street in Ridgeley, WV. Third picture is at the station in Cumberland, Maryland...Special THANKS to Tim Wilson for his informative information; cannot say thanks enough !!! 

Date: 10/02/22 15:42
Re: Three different states and a Mallet...WMSR 1309

Last two pictures are at Cash Valley Road in Maryland; I think :)  We traveled thru Maryland/Pennsylvania/West Virginia today. Thanks Todd for going with me as my wife was very much at ease knowing you were there with  my health...thanks for lookiing.

Date: 10/02/22 16:33
Author: RFandPFan

Fantastic photos!

Date: 10/02/22 17:22
Author: BCutter

I really like all the photos but would have to flip a coin between #4 and #5 to choose the best (IMHO)! The framing of the gazebo(?) and trees coupled with the brute force of the head-on view of 1309 set those apart for me.

Bruce

Date: 10/02/22 17:27

Just wanted to throw in one more before retiring for the evening....

Date: 10/02/22 19:48
Author: Gonut1

Thanks for all the rainy day PIX of a great locomotive. Really special to see it in the dismal weather! Crappy weather just magnifies steam's attraction!
My older son and I were competing in an SCCA autocross racing event in suburban Philadelphia today. It was an ugly cold wet day to be outside for hours on end but he won Philly Driver of the year, 3 years running! A First I believe.  And this 76 year old guy finished 3rd in his class for the fourth time in five years. Now if I can get that championship driver (a Union Pacific employee) and his younger brother, a Z and G gauge modeler and myself together to go see the Western Maryland "Beast" and the upcoming East Broad Top steam, I'm sure a good time will be had by all.
 I sure hope your diagnosis doesn't curtail your many excellent postings? I've enjoyed them over the years.
Be Well,
Gonut

Date: 10/03/22 01:35
Author: ClubCar

All nice photos, thanks for posting and sharing them with all of us.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/03/22 10:43
Author: DTWilson

You're welcome, I'm glad I could be of assistance.

May be we can meet up face to face next time you're in town.

Tim W.

Date: 10/03/22 12:54

Would really like that Tim!

Posted from Android

Date: 10/04/22 04:21
Author: dpudave

Great photos all. She's a real brute, but somehow beaitiful, too. I agree the rainy day adds something. Best wishes on the PPMS. d

Date: 10/04/22 05:13
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice Carl. I have to get down there and try my luck.
John

Date: 10/04/22 07:46
Author: jdtravis

Nice, well, really awesome photos and I love the mood created by the less than ideal weather. I never grew up around steam so really appreciate the photos of what I missed.
Question about the number boards. The fireman's side board looks yellow in the last three photos and white in the first three. Is this an optical illusion? If so, how does this happen?

Date: 10/04/22 07:51
Author: engineerinvirginia

jdtravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice, well, really awesome photos and I love the
> mood created by the less than ideal weather. I
> never grew up around steam so really appreciate
> the photos of what I missed.
> Question about the number boards. The fireman's
> side board looks yellow in the last three photos
> and white in the first three. Is this an optical
> illusion? If so, how does this happen?

It's the angle of view and other things....causes changes in color balance that the camera sees....since it's just one item that's odd it can't fix it on the fly. 

Date: 10/04/22 13:01
Author: 99stang

Fantastic shots....  These are what I was hoping to capture last Friday, but WMSR had issues with 1309 and pulled it from the scehduled 9/30 run. I was understandably unhappy(!!). They obviously got it running for the weekend... Here's a shot of the GE from the 9/28 run, turning at Frostburg. 
Next time....

Date: 10/04/22 16:16

I am just surmising but the friend that had come with me remarked at one point he thought the number boards were illuminated. How they do that I don't know.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/22 16:59 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 10/04/22 17:53
Author: HotWater

Forever-Railfan-45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am just surmising but the friend that had come
> with me remarked at one point he thought the
> number boards were illuminated. How they do that I
> don't know.

Electric light bulbs inside the number boards.

Date: 10/05/22 23:15
Author: gobbl3gook

"to be honest I believed the rainy  atmosphere contributed immensely to the scene." 

Rain = high humidity.  

High humidity=longer-lasting steam puffs.  

Nice pics, I'm glad you were able to get out!  Thanks for sharing.  

Ted in OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds