Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wheeling and Nickel Plate Day in Lake Erie Land

Date: 10/05/22 13:32
Wheeling and Nickel Plate Day in Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

Wednesday October 5, 2022

1. My wife Lisa was off work today and we took a cruise towards Hartland, OH to see what was going on with the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad this morning. The short answer was, not much. Some MofW equipment was at the Hartland crossing and a train was inbound from Monroeville, so we shot him approaching Hartland from the Arcade Road crossing. Power was the ex KCS SD40-2 #6982. This unit was built  as an SD40 in March 1971 as KCS 633. Trailing on the rear of the train was WLE 7014 (ex Milwaukee Road #171).

2. & 3. The going away shot as they head east towards Hartland Yard with the WLE 7014 through the fall corn fields.

Date: 10/05/22 13:43
Re: Wheeling and Nickel Plate Day in Lake Erie Land

4. Since nothing but MofW was going to be between Hartland and Bellevue, we went towards Bellevue and then heard Train 316 doing an air test getting ready to head out to Conneaut. Changing plans again we aborted Bellevue, and headed to Kimball east of the yard where the old B&O crossed on the way to Sandusky. So here is the 316 coming through Kimball with a really long train. Power is NS 9820 and 9601.

5. & 6. We started following him east, but had a hard time getting caught up to his headend after getting blocked at Ransom Road crossing. We finally got on Route 2 and headed towards Lorain. Word was there would be a meet between Train 265 (former 23K - intermodal) and 316 at Leavitt Road on the west side of Lorain. Not knowing exactly where the head ends would meet  we decided to go for a shot of 265 coming off the "RU" lift bridge over the Black River at Lorain as the light was very favorable there. So here comes the 265 west over the bridge heading for a meet with 316 west  of town. Power is BNSF 3962 and BNSF 4070.

Date: 10/05/22 13:53

7. Another view of train 265 (Ayer, MA to 47th Street Yard Chicago) at the "RU" bridge westbound. The diamond with the B&O was about where the locomotives are, and the NKP depot was to the right just before the B&O.

8. And the going away shot crossing over the Broadway overpass, which until relatively recently was a grade crossing.

9. The two trains met somewhere down west of Leavitt Road, and now here comes the 316 we first saw departing Bellevue crossing the Broadway overpass (Route 57) and heading towards RU bridge. Somehow the road is completely devoid of traffic.

Time now to go grocery shopping and end our day taking pictures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/22 13:56 by train1275.

Date: 10/05/22 14:07

I guess I got in too much of an editing hurry and forgot to straighten this one .... hope it now looks better.

Date: 10/05/22 14:19
Author: refarkas

Great photos - You certainly used the bridge to your advantage.
Bob

Date: 10/05/22 14:25
Author: NormSchultze

That's an impressive bridge.  I'll have to look it up on the bridgehunter site - unless you beat me to it..   

Date: 10/05/22 16:12
Author: stevelv

train1275 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Time now to go grocery shopping and end our day
> taking pictures.

Nice shots as usual from your corner of the world.  I'm sure that going grocery shopping was the not the highlight at the end of your day of successful foaming.  November 8th is coming soon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds