Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfan Evolution - Thanksgiving 2022

Date: 11/27/22 14:18
Railfan Evolution - Thanksgiving 2022
Author: cinder

A father and his young son (and a friend) are trackside at Kennebunk, ME on Thanksgiving morning.  Downeaster 681 is northbound and will be arriving soon at 70+ mph.  The location is across from the former passenger station just south of Summer St. (Route 9A).  The father gathers up his toddler for safety and reassurance.

Father with toddler and friend see the headlight down the track and amble forward ..... then backward at the admonition of the father.  In seconds, it is over and a new railfan is created (He was born two years ago).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/22 14:33 by cinder.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/27/22 16:56
Re: Railfan Evolution - Thanksgiving 2022
Author: icancmp193

No stop in Kennebunk today! (Or any other day).

TJY

Date: 11/27/22 17:18
Author: renf

Several years ago there were plans to add a stop for the Downeaser in Kennebunkpost using the existing stattion.  I think the planning came to an
end since there was no place for passengers to park their cars before boarding the Downeaster.  I think the businesses in the local area
were concerned that the lack of parking would harm their business but I am not suire about this.

Date: 11/27/22 19:07
Author: Gonut1

Cinder,
Interesting post! Although I have been involved with engineering projects for NASA, from about the time we landed a man on the moon, and seemingly forever and still with our military communications, I have always enjoyed watching a train pass more so than any Shuttle launch or other space or aeronautical event. I'm just not interested, never was, never will be. This distressed a long departed friend of mine who was similarly employed but totally immersed himself in the space and aeronautical theater. I can recall many times that the scenes you have given us were played out with my two sons, usually along a Conrail main and at several locations on the Northeast Corridor where the Amtrak trains sailed past at 120mph or so. Stay behind the yellow line!
Many thanks!
Gonut

Date: 11/29/22 11:07
Author: BCutter

More than a few decades ago, Kennebunk did have passenger rail service albeit from a trolley line -- Atlantic Shore Line Railway! There is a digital writeup available from Bangor (Maine) Library about this line. Look for O. R. Cummings as the author. I am very aware of this line since ran through my maternal grandparents' yard in Kittery Point, Maine! There are still remnants of the line in several places.

Bruce
Columbia, MO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds