Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Biden urges Congress to pass legislation to avert nationwide rail

Date: 11/28/22 20:32
Biden urges Congress to pass legislation to avert nationwide rail
Author: NKPSOUTHERN

Date: 11/28/22 20:42
Re: Biden urges Congress to pass legislation to avert nationwide
Author: SpringedSwitch

NKPSOUTHERN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-urge
> s-congress-to-pass-legislation-to-avert-nationwide
> -rail-strike/ar-AA14Fhiz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=866663
> 4aeaea4ff5b41f7dacce76ef3d
>
> This probably won't turn out very well for anyone
> involed.

Yes, but this wasn't going to end any other way.

Date: 11/28/22 21:01
Author: NKPSOUTHERN

SpringedSwitch Wrote:
> NKPSOUTHERN Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-urge
>
> >
> s-congress-to-pass-legislation-to-avert-nationwide
>
> >
> -rail-strike/ar-AA14Fhiz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=866663
>
> > 4aeaea4ff5b41f7dacce76ef3d
> >
> > This probably won't turn out very well for
> anyone
> > involed.
>
> Yes, but this wasn't going to end any other way.

Correct.  But I wonder how it would have been if Union leadership would have invited or requested some of the good folks in Congress that make decisions for others to come out into the field and work like T&E people for a couple of weeks to see how it really is. Did anyone think to make that request??  Probably not and even if they did make the request I'm betting that NOT ONE member of Congress would have found the time to honor the reqest.

Date: 11/28/22 21:30
Author: Soo715

Union leaders sold the membership down the river when they ratified the TA, right at the time unions had the most possible leverage. Those leaders may well get ejected...but the damage is done, the opportunity is lost. I still hope a strike happens but it will be depressing, albeit predictable, to see our self-described "pro-union" president screw over rail workers in favor of the carriers.

Date: 11/28/22 22:02
Author: callum_out

What will be depressing is to see how many senior TE&Y people take the retro money and walk off into the sunset.

Out 

Date: 11/28/22 22:40
Author: JOHNY5ALIVE

Oh… this has been a very interesting situation to observe and watch how it has played out. The real interesting part of this contact is it really is only for the next 18/24 months basically. The new round of section six notices will probably be sent out within the next 12-14 months. I am not trying to throw politics into the debate but how can you not? It really seems to me that the Unions thought the best course of action was to force a PEB because of all the legislative and executive branches of government were democrat and would get their requested demands honored. Well, that plan backfired big time surprisingly…. Even I was surprised at the PEB recommendations.

I also firmly believe the union leaders did a very poor job of discussing how negotiations work and what to expect and how previous precedence affects everything. For example some of the craft employees believing or demanding they should receive raises equal to the recent rise of inflation. This contract provides a pretty significant pay raise for employees while maybe not equal to the rise of inflation in the last months I am not aware of any large company raising wages to meet inflation. And the paid sick days or policy requested. I do agree that railroads need to implement a policy that is fair to employees and allows for non-penalized days, not sure 7-10 paid sick days is the right answer for implementing right out of the gate and apparently the PEB didn’t either.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/22 22:43 by JOHNY5ALIVE.

Date: 11/29/22 08:25
Author: nsrlink

Soo715 Wrote:
> Union leaders sold the membership down the river
> when they ratified the TA
, right at the time
> unions had the most possible leverage. Those
> leaders may well get ejected...but the damage is
> done, the opportunity is lost. I still hope a
> strike happens but it will be depressing, albeit
> predictable, to see our self-described "pro-union"
> president screw over rail workers in favor of the
> carriers.

The tentative agreement was put out for a vote.  The membership ratified the TA or voted it down, not the "union leaders."

Date: 11/29/22 08:31
Author: nsrlink

There's a lot of chatter about "this is not a good time for a strike."
OK, um, when is a good time for a nationwide rail strike??
The strike is the ultimate tool in the union's toolbox to bend the company over & have their demands addressed.  If you're netuered from being able to strike, it's pretty ineffective.  It's comical AAR & these NSanely profitable railroads don't want any government regulation or interferance... ....unless it comes in the form of forcing a contract upon the workers.

As for the unions, if they were playing chess instead of checkers, they would have had legislation amending the antiquated Railway Labor Act in their favor ready to be put through Congress during the first 6 months of 2020.  The entire process needs to be overhauled & not drag on YEARS.  But, I would bet if you locked the parties in a crappy railroad hotel & told them they couldn't leave until they came to an agreement, they would have something in about a week.  Not this crap of meeting at some golf resort every other month for a few days.

Date: 11/29/22 10:20
Author: Lackawanna484

Locking union, management, and government negotiators in a hotel facility is the German way of dealing with labor contract impasse.

Not perfect, but it got seats on the board, stock in their pocket, and respect.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/22 11:18
Author: joemvcnj

One of those old NS camp train cars would be ideal. 

Date: 11/29/22 11:42
Author: EL833

Soo715 Wrote:
> Union leaders sold the membership down the river
> when they ratified the TA, right at the time
> unions had the most possible leverage. Those
> leaders may well get ejected...but the damage is
> done, the opportunity is lost. I still hope a
> strike happens but it will be depressing, albeit
> predictable, to see our self-described "pro-union"
> president screw over rail workers in favor of the
> carriers.
....this ^^

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 12/01/22 08:11
Author: BKLYN

You got that right ..Money talks...BS walks

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1523 seconds