Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > PA: Want to live in the York Haven tower?

Date: 12/03/22 07:52
PA: Want to live in the York Haven tower?
Author: Lackawanna484

There's a listing in the Realtor.com for a former Pennsylvania Railroad depot in York Haven PA.  I believe this is on the former Northern Central railroad line from Baltimore to Harrisburg which was decimated in a 1970s flood. 

The home is close to the Susquehanna River, and sits  south and west of the Three Mile Island power plant.

It's a cute little (722 sf) two story brick house.  Looks like it would make a nice weekend or getaway location

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/479-River-Dr_York-Haven_PA_17370_M99502-15754

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 15:42 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 12/03/22 09:32
Re: PA: Want to live in the York Haven depot?
Author: bert14

Wow...Cute?...I guess. But That is the strangest built depot/house ever. 

Date: 12/03/22 10:38
Author: bigsavage

While this may have been a NCRR building due to its proximity to a wye track, it is not a station as it is well back from the R-O-W, and it is not listed in the west2k.com listing of PA RR stations.
The TRIUMPH series also shows frame combination stations for both Cly and York Haven.

Date: 12/03/22 11:10
Author: RailRyder

Could this have been the interlocking tower for York Haven?

Date: 12/03/22 11:40
Author: ironmtn

RailRyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could this have been the interlocking tower for
> York Haven?

Sure looks like a former tower to me. Neat place. Being in the floodplain, if that is in fact the case, is a serious drawback and would give pause. I say this as someone who grew up around the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers in the Midwest and have seen many floods, and the damage they can do to buildings on a floodplain.

Could be a fun place for someone.

MC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/22 11:41 by ironmtn.

Date: 12/03/22 12:04
Author: pdt

If i lived anywhere near there, Id buy it just to have a nice place to hang out.  2.5 acres, out buildings, looks nice inside, looks like u can watch trains too...

Date: 12/03/22 14:56
Author: icancmp193

A most interesting piece of property! Nothing like a spiral staircase on moving day!

TJY

Date: 12/03/22 15:29
Author: ironmtn

icancmp193 Wrote:
> A most interesting piece of property! Nothing like
> a spiral staircase on moving day!
>
> TJY

Saw that spiral staircase. That gave some pause, as it tends to do for those of us who are in the older age group. Even when younger, I always found them to be a little tricky to safely negotiate, and I had a nasty slip and fall on one once. Never have quite forgotten it, much as I like them appearance-wise.

But I didn't even think about moving in relative to it. Ouch.

But still a neat place, and at a pretty good price for a parcel of that size, that structure and other outbuildings. A nice place for gatherings of family and friends. If I lived in the area, I would definitely be tempted. I've always kinda dreamed of having a place like that, not right on the tracks but close enough to hear the trains pass, and be able to watch if I wanted to without having to take an expedition by car somewhere. And a converted tower has always been a particularly attractive thought. I've seen one or two redone here in the Midwest where I live (can't recall where), and they were pretty neat, just like this one.

Hope it ends up with a railfan who will enjoy it. And when he has his first railfan barbecue, hope I'm invited!

MC

Date: 12/03/22 15:41

It does look like a tower.

I will edit the topic header

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/22 07:19
Author: WM_1109

Not to mention the real estate listing says it was built in 1989. May not be accurate, but that's what it says.
/Ted

Date: 12/04/22 09:15

WM_1109 Wrote:
> Not to mention the real estate listing says it was
> built in 1989. May not be accurate, but that's
> what it says.
> /Ted

Yes

I figured that's when the place was converted and permitted for residential use

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/22 09:57

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> WM_1109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not to mention the real estate listing says it
> was
> > built in 1989. May not be accurate, but that's
> > what it says.
> > /Ted
>
> Yes
>
> I figured that's when the place was converted and
> permitted for residential use
>
> Posted from Android

Could well be. From aoutward appearances, it sure doesn't look like a 1989 construction.
/Ted

Date: 12/04/22 09:57
Author: alcoiowa

I thought interlocking towers had lots of windows on the second floor level.  This building does not have a lot of windows.  Maybe the build date of 1989 is correct.
Fred Cheney
Iowa City, IA.

Date: 12/05/22 00:14

I think this is the former Cly interlocking tower, that at some point, was purchased and relocated away from the tracks. It appears that there's been several modifications to it, including the removal of the trackside bay window on the 2nd floor. For some earlier photos of it in use, see The Pennsy Modeler. [link]
It's an interesting find, that's for sure.
/Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0643 seconds