Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Watching Some Trains Under The Hamilton Depot

Date: 01/15/23 19:35
Watching Some Trains Under The Hamilton Depot
Author: tq-07fan

The second half, the single story section of the depot in Hamilton Ohio should move on Tuesday, weather permitting. Today I woke up late. I flipped the coins to determine if I should bother to go to Quincy Ohio and was very satisfied with the results of going to Hamilton Ohio instead. A stop at Panaderia La Mexicana for 'breakfast' to go. Nothing was lined up at first when I got Hamilton but soon something was lit for an NS northbound. 
1) Mexican Baked Goods from Panderia La Mexicana. This is how railfans contribute to the local economy. 
2) You couldn't get this shot last week and likely wont be able to get it next week.
3) Northbound NS general freight, I could not pick up the Z number.

Date: 01/15/23 19:36
Re: Watching Some Trains Under The Hamilton Depot

I went to the McDonald's for a couple Iced Teas and returned for a short northbound CSX Auto Rack train. I drove around to do a signal check, to see everything you have to check the Northbound Absolute signals at Walnut Street. Sure enough something was lined up the Indianapolis Sub. While waiting two guys in a pickup truck drove into my shot but the kindly moved their truck out of the way.
4) I like how shot number 2 came out I had to try it again!
5) The depot pictures turn out better when trains are on Track Number Two but everything came up Track One today.
6) CSX Indianapolis Local L425 crossing Martin Luther King Blvd.

Date: 01/15/23 19:38

I ended up talking to the two guys in the pickup and we all took more pictures. Really nice guys! There were two other guys I didn't talk to other then letting them know the local was coming. They had a Camero or something (I am not a car guy). Another NS Northbound Z150 came past with three Union Pacifics and a much shorter train then last week. Not long after that we all left. It was chilly but beautiful day in Hamilton!
7) This picture you can see the corner of the roof of the depot that was removed to clear high cube cars. 
8) The rear the train and detail of how the end of the depot is supported.
9) Here you can see in the distance the two story part of the depot in the distance. Tuesday this single story section should join it. 

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 01/15/23 20:24
Author: ironmtn

A great series of timely and historically relevant images. Thanks for the time and effort to capture these for posterity - and for us to enjoy now. (Oh, and those Mexican baked goods look delicious - a great way to start a railfanning day).

MC

Date: 01/15/23 21:00
Author: bmarti7

YouTuber Jaw Tooth has been documenting the move as well. He drives white pickup I think.

PCBill

Date: 01/16/23 19:37

After work today Monday January 16th 2023 I went up to Hamilton! 
10) CSX 547 going to Cliffs (formerly AK Steel) in Middletown Ohio. You cab see one of the Bobcats used for leveling the area.
11) Being that it was cloudy I could get the East side of the depot.
12) An NS stack which I think was going by the CSX train ID of Z188.

Date: 01/16/23 19:39

The Dispatcher told the next train to start toward Butler Street, The female radioed the Flagman for the depot and talked to the Dispatcher but I never caught the train ID, It was a Coal train with CSX hoppers. After a stop at Chocko's World Famous Fish and Chicken I went back in hopes of getting a Butler County bus going by the depot. Unfortunately the NS stacktrain must have been in the way,
13) CSX southbound coal drag, This empty area was all railway related stuff not too long ago.
14) Northbound NS that blocked my bus picture, I guess.
15) Probably my final shot of the depot in it's current spot. Tomorrow it should be moved.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 01/17/23 19:03

Today Tuesday January 17 2023 the single story section of the Hamilton Depot was moved. I was told it took only around a half hour for the main drive down ML King Blvd before the fine-tuning over the new foundation just south of the two story depot moved Tuesday December 20 2023. Re: Last Passenger Train Past the Hamilton Ohio CH&D Depot 

I was at work and got there way after the move was completed. The absence of the depot from where me and everyone else alive and their Grandparents have known it to be is just unreal! 
16) The two sections of the depot. Take lots of pictures of the area around this as it be completely redone over the next year or so. The depot was the main starting point. 
17) Looking south a Northbound NS on Directional Running. So different is the scene I ended not being in the same places as the before pictures above from yesterday.
18) Looking at the depot that in it's new position. This will be a great Morning shot for the southbounds past here. 

Date: 01/17/23 19:04

19) CSX L425 crossing Dayton Street entering the Butler Street Interlocking. Spending so much time up here recently I discovered Hamilton is a target rich area for urban railfaning. A lot of scenes and things I've overlooked.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds