Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > To Hull and Back

Date: 01/21/23 08:29
To Hull and Back
Author: bmarti7

In late December I posted regarding the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railway(Florida). One of the replies was from "swaool" who used to work that route when it was a SCL property.  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,5603138,5603378#msg-5603378.

While waiting for the KU basketball game (I was born and raised 20 miles from Lawrence), followed by NFL playoffs, I decided to go north to Hull and see what I could find of the former ROW. Hull is where the line to Port Charlotte and Boca Grande split with the line to Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers and Naples. The The SCL Boca Grande Sub saw its last trains in 1979 and the line was formally abandoned in 1981.

Unfortunately the ROW around Hull is completely overgrown or has been cultivated by farmers. So a Google Earth image will have to do. This first location that I could actually see the former ROW was where it crossed county highway 761. From that point I worked south and ended my exploration at El Jobean and the Myakka River. Sorry - no trains but I hope you enjoy the journey.

PCBill

1. Google Earth image of the Y south of Hull - to the left Boca Grande, straight south to Punta Gorda. Note the other rail line in the lower, right corner of the image: it's the form ACL line, now operated by the Seminole Gulf
2. Google Earth image of the line crossing the Peace River
3. ROW crossing Charlotte County 761 - image lokking RR north
more......

PCBill

Date: 01/21/23 08:35
Re: To Hull and Back
Author: bmarti7

4. Looking south from Charlotte County 769 towards Port Charlotte - note the tilted power poles which are a direct result of the northeast, 200 mph winds from Hurricane Ian
5. I-75 overpass above ROW - looking RR north
6. Beginning of causeway and bridge over the Myakka River at El Jobean. Now a fishing pier. Looking RR south

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds