Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Snow around Dayton and Timing Things Right

Date: 01/22/23 19:53
Snow around Dayton and Timing Things Right
Author: tq-07fan

My friend Robert had trouble getting to my house this Morning, it was pouring down snow. I got him pushed into my driveway and I drove my car toward the Train Show at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds in Dayton today. We stopped at my mom's house for an awesome homemade breakfast and because Robert hadn't got to visit with my mom and dad in a couple years. I shoveled my mom's driveway off first and even slipped and fell but didn't hurt anything. After visiting a little we started out from Kettering toward the West side of Dayton. I took the Northlawn Bridge across Moraine Yard and saw a headlight. No traffic out I simply parked on the bridge and shot NS 179 coming past dormant Moraine Yard and by the dormant Moraine Yard yard office. I could not have timed it out much better if I had tried.
1) NS 179, looking RR East, compass North toward Dayton on the NS Dayton District, formerly Conrail Cincinnati Line.
2) NS 179, looking RR West, compass South toward Cincinnati. This line was originally part of the Big 4 Route, later part of the NYC. 

Date: 01/22/23 19:54
Re: Snow around Dayton and Timing Things Right
Author: tq-07fan

I started up Broadway but city of Dayton had not plowed it yet. I turned around to go back to I-75 but heard something on CSX Toledo Sub calling out the signals at Second Street on the north end of downtown Dayton. I turned around and heard someone else coming north call the signals at South Dayton, also known as SD Cabin. From there it was to the show then up to Quincy where we saw less trains and less snow.
3) CSX L424, L424 originates in Overpeck Yard north of Hamilton and goes all the way to Lima and back. 
4) CSX L424 about to cross Nicholas RD heading north on the former B&O Toledo Sub, originally part of the CH&D.

Thank you for looking!

Jim

Date: 01/22/23 20:31
Author: 8notch

Jim, Number 1 gets my vote for IOTD. Thats a nice winter scene.
 Robert in Island City Oregon

Date: 01/22/23 23:36
Author: exopr

Nice pics!

Date: 01/23/23 18:46
Author: wabash2800

Yes, I like it too: the snow, the trackwork, building, railroad atmosphere.

Victor Baird

8notch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim, Number 1 gets my vote for IOTD. Thats a nice
> winter scene.
>  Robert in Island City Oregon

Date: 01/25/23 15:36
Author: ns1000

I like Pics 1 and 3!!

Nice framing of Pic 3.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds