Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Norfolk Southern intermodals do swap of crews at Kilbourne Rd.?

Date: 01/24/23 06:34
Norfolk Southern intermodals do swap of crews at Kilbourne Rd.?
Author: Gerrypaul

A friend has reported to me that he pretty much randomly saw what appeared to be NS #28N doing a change of crews at point just to W side of the Kilbourne /Flat Rock intersection, about 2 miles southwest of Bellevue, Ohio? That sound right?

Crew van was parked there to w side of Kilbourne grade crossing at maybe 9:15 AM? crews walking to/from lead loco.

I'm thinking that the #276 also must do a change of crews there? that's the Landers to Portlock train, right? If I'm not mistaken, the #276 is a colorful display of UASC, Hapag-Lloyd, OOCL, Evergreen, etc. I think the #28N and the #276 would typically arrive there at the Kilbourne location in about a 7am -- 11 am timeframe? 

Can anyone please confirm or correct as necessary? 

---Gerrypaul

Date: 01/24/23 07:01
Re: Norfolk Southern intermodals do swap of crews at Kilbourne Rd
Author: Darthsimpletext

Lets just say that even if it's just one train or your at a crew change point that its impressive to hear a train powering up to go on the move again, the thundering racket of two LOUD diesels starting up to move a train back to speed............

nick

Date: 01/24/23 08:21

Sure, but that is not my question. 

Date: 01/24/23 13:23
Author: toledopatch

It is quite routine for trains traveling from the Fostoria District onto the Sandusky District toward Columbus to change crews at Route 18, aka Kilbourne Street (although it's usually referred to as "Route 18" rather than by the street name).

Date: 01/24/23 15:26

BTW, I'm guessing the #276  changes crews here too, yes?

In fact, I think that #28N and #276 both do this here, on a daily basis, and in a pretty close timeframe too....maybe7am --- 11am? 

Date: 01/24/23 18:19
Author: halfmoonharold

Crew change points in any given terminal are usually determined by the dispatcher, trainmaster, and/or the person who coordinates the crew vans. They are based on traffic, weather, and crew availability conditions at that time. So, even though the trains you are asking about USUALLY perform the crew change at Rt. 18, they can also do it at Kenny rd, or maybe even Shriver, if that works better at the moment. So there is no definite answer, like many things on the railroad.

Date: 01/26/23 06:43
Author: ns1000

Crew change points are not etched in stone. There are many Plan Bs on the rails....

I tend to chuckle when the question is asked, "Can you make it to a certain place by a certain time"?? The answer is NO?!?!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds