Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fitchburg in the Snow

Date: 01/25/23 08:56
Fitchburg in the Snow
Author: dwatry

After Monday's big snow, I decided yesterday (Tuesday) to ride the MBTA Fitchburg line out to Fitchburg, and hang around for a few hours to see what might roll through.  On the way out there, at Ayer we passed what looked like 11R with NS power sitting on the wye with ditchlights on, ready to head west, so I figured that might show up.  There was also a PAR unit switching the Fitchburg yard, and I figured EDPO might also show.   And BTW, I can heartly endorse Fuzzy's Cafe in the Fitchburg MBTA rail/bus intermodal station as a good place to grab a quick sandwich between trains!  And very visible signals both east and west so you have a good indication of when something is coming. 

1)  Westbound MBTA Fitchburg line train entering Porter Square in Cambridge, behind a MassDOT GP40MC.  This was the 930am out of North Station. 
2)  Westbound intermodal at Fitchburg with NS power - perhaps this is 11R?    Or 265?
3)  Same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/23 06:48 by dwatry.

Date: 01/25/23 09:00
Re: Fitchburg in the Snow

4)  Eastbound MBTA with same trainset that I rode out to Fitchburg, in push mode.
5)  Same train, but with better view of MassDOT GP40MC.
6)  Another MBTA westbound, this time behind an F40PH. 

Date: 01/25/23 09:02

In the end, for the 2 1/2 hours I was there, the NS 11R was the only freight that came through.  On the scanner I heard lots of discussion with the Fitchburg local, but he never got out of the yard.  And no EDPO, sorry to say!    I hope for better luck next time!

Date: 01/25/23 10:50
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. Is the old B&M yard still there in Fitchburg? I couldn't get out much as a very young teenager in 1970-71, but remember our family driving by there and seeing the yard below the highway complete with a roundhouse and twin? sanding towers. There was also a neat concrete bridge on the main before it entered the yard. I recall one time we went to the drive-in theatre close by to watch a movie. I would have rather watched the B&M than the movie! Of the few times we went by there, I recall a trio consist of B&M Bluebirds pulling their train over the bridge and another of one of a black B&M switcher working the yard.

Even though the B&M had recently declared bankruptcy, there was still something special about that railroad. On another occasion we went into town and I remember the many old, brick factory and mill buildings. As we went over an overpass, just then the B&M delivered the image of another Bluebird powered freight. And dad was kind enough to let me visit a dusty, cluttered hobby shop (the best kind). I may have purchased an Athearn Bluebox kit.

Victor Baird

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/23 11:15 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/25/23 11:21

There's a small yard (4-5 tracks) east of the station about a mile.  From the train, I didn't see any remnants of a roundhouse, turntable or coaling tower.

Date: 01/25/23 15:59
Author: bob01566

Hey Duncan -
Nice day for a relaxing train ride and you got some good shots.
BTW, the upper floors of the parking garage at Fitchburg give you some neat perspectives...if anything is moving...
I was in Palmer this morning and NECR was about the only thing moving.
Some snowstorm, eh?   NOT!

Bob
nerrp.com

Date: 01/25/23 16:38

Bob - Yes that did occur to me about the garage, but with the wind I thought that would be too cold.  For us relocated SF Bay Area types, any snow is a big deal! 

Date: 01/26/23 15:10
Author: SpeederDriver

I remember Fitchburg with RDCs and the beautiful old B&M station.  How things have changed.

Date: 01/27/23 09:35
Author: ST214

Fitchburg East is still in use. That was the largest of the three. Fitchburg middle and Fitchburg west yards are long gone.

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing. Is the old B&M yard still
> there in Fitchburg? I couldn't get out much as a
> very young teenager in 1970-71, but remember our
> family driving by there and seeing the yard below
> the highway complete with a roundhouse and twin?
> sanding towers. There was also a neat concrete
> bridge on the main before it entered the yard. I
> recall one time we went to the drive-in theatre
> close by to watch a movie. I would have rather
> watched the B&M than the movie! Of the few times
> we went by there, I recall a trio consist of B&M
> Bluebirds pulling their train over the bridge and
> another of one of a black B&M switcher working the
> yard.
>
> Even though the B&M had recently declared
> bankruptcy, there was still something special
> about that railroad. On another occasion we went
> into town and I remember the many old, brick
> factory and mill buildings. As we went over an
> overpass, just then the B&M delivered the image of
> another Bluebird powered freight. And dad was kind
> enough to let me visit a dusty, cluttered hobby
> shop (the best kind). I may have purchased an
> Athearn Bluebox kit.
>
> Victor Baird

Date: 01/27/23 09:41

So, where was the rounhouse, etc? Is it indeed gone?

Victor Baird

ST214 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fitchburg East is still in use. That was the
> largest of the three. Fitchburg middle and
> Fitchburg west yards are long gone.
>
>

Date: 01/27/23 19:34
Author: mttrainman1

Leaving Fitchburg station eastbound, once you pass the second interlocking, the turntable can be seen on your left on the west end of the yard. The turntable is still there but the pit has been filled in so you need to look for the railings on the table to find it.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/27/23 20:40

Thanks mttrainman. Using your information, I was able to find it on Google maps satellite and get the street and overhead view. That was the place. I guess this would be technically Lunenburg. I remember going to the Whalom Amusement Park there on a Jr. High field trip. The Drive-in-Theatre was up the hill from the yard.

Memories. I suppose there is a turntable that could be used by some tourist railroad or museum if they can get it? The concrete bridge to the west of the yard can be see from the road, but the foliage obscures it a bit. I seem to recall there was a guy in Lunenburg that had an old B&M wooden, open platform coach in his backyard.

Thanks Again

Victor Baird

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/23 20:55 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/28/23 15:32
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos of the variety of trains in the snow.  Thanks for getting out there to capture them.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1262 seconds