Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Short Outing in Scranton, PA Tuesday morning

Date: 01/31/23 18:20
Short Outing in Scranton, PA Tuesday morning
Author: sscannella

While on family "business" in Scranton, PA Tuesday, I had about a 1-hour window to get out and do some photography.   I got lucky as NS Enola, PA to Binghamton, NY manifest 10Z was making its way through the area and I was able to get some quick photos and video as it was starting its climb up the Clarks Summit grade.  We see it here along the North Scranton Expressway at about MP 669 with an interesting mix of power - NS 1231, UP 7135, NS 8103 (N&W heritage unit), NS 6957 + 128 cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/23 20:42 by sscannella.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/31/23 18:26
Re: Short Outing in Scranton, PA Tuesday morning

Knowing that the Delaware-Lackawanna's PO74 Pocono main job had just left town, I decided to head downtown to Scranton Yard anyway see what might be sitting around.  The former Erie-Lackawanna C425 twins - 2461 and 2452 were idling by Bridge 60, so I grabbed a couple quick shots of them.  Both units recently had "nose jobs", moving bell and the headlights.  Contrast the first picture with the second one taken a couple years ago to see the extent of the work. 

Date: 02/01/23 03:21
Author: dschlegel

Neat video Sam!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/01/23 07:35
Author: NS4271

Great photos .  Thanks.
Bruce

Date: 02/01/23 07:45
Author: perklocal

Wow ! That 10Z was a monster. Good thing they put all those empty Centerbeams on the hind end.

Date: 02/01/23 07:52
Author: Gonut1

I'm surprised that NS wasn't using Distributed Power on that beast. I guess once they reach Clark's Summit it is easier going to Binghamton.
Go

Date: 02/01/23 11:52

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm surprised that NS wasn't using Distributed
> Power on that beast. I guess once they reach
> Clark's Summit it is easier going to Binghamton.
> Go

Sometimes they do.  I'm not sure what the threshold is for DPUs, but I've seen 150 - 200 car monster 10Z's come out of Enola with DPUs, but I've seen 150 - 175 car monsters with all three on the head end.  Tonnage is one thing, but I would think length should figure in too, especially on the two big grades they have to battle.  Oddly, the counterpart 11Z almost always has a DPU.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds