Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Saluda sold

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/15/23 20:03
Saluda sold
Author: OHRY

Looks like the end for any thoughts that NS may ever run trains over Saulda. Looks like they've agreed to sell the line for a rail trail.

https://www.postandcourier.com/spartanburg/news/norfolk-southern-to-sell-saluda-grade-tracks-for-sc-to-nc-rail-trail/article_be5e93c4-c36e-11ed-922c-4b4227cd2da6.html

Posted from Android

Date: 03/15/23 20:32
Re: Saluda sold
Author: Gonut1

Wow! Kudzu Trail! I would not want to bike that grade, up or down, but I guess there are enough very avid bicyclists, I guess, who would try. I'm not at all surprised at this development as most rail taffic in that area has been reduced to nearly none, especially since the recent paper mill closing announcement. Through traffic died years ago. What a shame. I recall seeing the top of that grade when I was teenager and thought, who in their right mind would take a train down that grade! Many did and successfully.
Go

Date: 03/15/23 20:54
Author: B-LineRailfan

I'd guess it will probably be pretty popular.  Although not as steep as Saluda, The Virginia Creeper trail (Ex-N&W) is a pretty good grade up from Damascus to White Top...  a lot of bikers take shuttle services to White Top and just ride downhill.

Thinking about the timing of the sale, NS might be trying to get some extra cash after the Ohio derailment...  I wonder if the B-Line from Riverton to Broadway might be next.

Steve Gass
Linden, VA
B-LineRailfan

Date: 03/15/23 21:50
Author: coach

I've ridden a number of rail trails in the Midwest, and among the communities there, they are very popular--lots of people using them.

Very sad to see no more trains on this brutal pass, but we have video we can watch.  Personally, I happy to hear this news.  I'd go bike it.

Date: 03/16/23 02:09
Author: Topfuel

Isn't that great.  More unlimited public taxpayer money going to the Trail People.  No user fees to walk or bike the trail, of course.  

Date: 03/16/23 04:29
Author: WM1977

Let em raise the money but not from tax dollars. This country has so much debt now its about time people wake up and donate for projects like this instead of taking.
CR

Date: 03/16/23 04:31
Author: DJ-12

B-LineRailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd guess it will probably be pretty popular.
>  Although not as steep as Saluda, The Virginia
> Creeper trail (Ex-N&W) is a pretty good grade up
> from Damascus to White Top...  a lot of bikers
> take shuttle services to White Top and just ride
> downhill.
>
> Thinking about the timing of the sale, NS might be
> trying to get some extra cash after the Ohio
> derailment...  I wonder if the B-Line from
> Riverton to Broadway might be next.
>  

Deals like this usually take a long time to come to pass. Any timing is almost certainly coincidental.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/16/23 05:09
Author: GPutz

It's an investement in their own citizens' health (get off your duff) and a source of tourist (bikers and hikers) money for county businesses which pay taxes in the county.  Gerry 
=================================
WM1977 Wrote:
> Let em raise the money but not from tax dollars.
> This country has so much debt now its about time
> people wake up and donate for projects like this
> instead of taking.
> CR

Date: 03/16/23 08:11
Author: MEKoch

The Great Allegheny Passage trail in mostly S.W. Pennsylvania is a real economic boost for that part of rural PA.  It is a lovely 140 mile trail from PGH to Cumberland, MD.  Western Maryland Railroad right-or-way is a delight.  

Date: 03/16/23 08:43
Author: 1019X

Local news was reporting that NS was in the process of working the out final details out two months ago. The State of South Carolina put money in the budget last fall for this project. 
DJ-12 Wrote:
> >
> > Thinking about the timing of the sale, NS might
> be
> > trying to get some extra cash after the Ohio
> > derailment...  I wonder if the B-Line from
> > Riverton to Broadway might be next.
> >  
>
> Deals like this usually take a long time to come
> to pass. Any timing is almost certainly
> coincidental.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/16/23 14:19
Author: DJ-12

MEKoch Wrote:
> The Great Allegheny Passage trail in mostly S.W.
> Pennsylvania is a real economic boost for that
> part of rural PA.  It is a lovely 140 mile trail
> from PGH to Cumberland, MD.  Western Maryland
> Railroad right-or-way is a delight.  

Indeed. The towns along the Youghiogeny and Casselman rivers like West Newton, Confluence, Rockwood and Meyersdale are now dotted with small privately run inns and B&Bs. Confluence, which has barely 700 people of its own has enough trail traffic to support several seasonal restaurants, a coffee shop, a bike shop, soft serve, a grocery store and a dollar general. Nearby Rockwood now has a microbrewery. Much of this is supported by the trail. It's not giant tourist dollars but it all adds up.

Date: 03/16/23 14:54
Author: 611Doug

The governments involved will spend more money on the rail trail than the original A&S line cost to build.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/16/23 15:08
Author: gandydancer4

Not to change the subject, (but I will), anyone heard how the CNO&TP sale is going now that E. Palestine has happened? Thank You. 

Date: 03/16/23 15:37
Author: Jimbo

The part from Saluda to Tryon, North Carolina, will really appeal to the bike riders.  Ride downhill, have a shuttle take you back to Saluda.  The track/right of way in Saluda is right downtown.  It is already a tourist destination; this will only help that.

Date: 03/16/23 17:49
Author: qed479

Will they keep the runaway ramps for down-grade cyclists?

Date: 03/16/23 17:54
Author: Lackawanna484

Jimbo Wrote:
> The part from Saluda to Tryon, North Carolina,
> will really appeal to the bike riders.  Ride
> downhill, have a shuttle take you back to Saluda.
>  The track/right of way in Saluda is right
> downtown.  It is already a tourist destination;
> this will only help that.

I suspect this will be a huge advantage for the whole area.

Date: 03/16/23 19:20
Author: symph1

First of all, one can like trains AND trails. I've ridden trains in much of the US, Japan, Europe and China AND I ride my bike all over the place. That includes railtrails around Chicago, Boston, and Wyoming.

Second, railtrails are public recreational areas and are deserving of public funding just like any other publc park.

Third, some bikers love steeps, some don't. Like any activity, bikers come in all shapes and interests. I've ridden the bike trail up over Vail Pass, and plan to do so again this summer. It's not just youngsters, either. I'm over 70, and did it with a buddy older than I.

And finally (whew, you say) many railtrails also get private support. Home for me is Laramie, and I donate to the Medicine Bow Railtrail support organization. And I ride it a lot, too.

Bottom line, I'm glad that this right-of-way will see a second life and be well used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/23 19:43 by symph1.

Date: 03/16/23 19:27
Author: RuleG

symph1 Wrote:
> First of all, one can like trains AND trails. I've
> ridden trains in much of the US, Japan, Europe and
> China AND I ride my bike all over the place. That
> includes railtrails around Chicago, Boston, and
> Wyoming.
>
> Second, railtrails are public recreational areas
> and are deserving of public funding just like any
> other publc park.
>
> Third, some bikers love steeps, some don't. Like
> any activity, bikers come in all shapes and
> interests. I've ridden the bike trail up over Vail
> Pass, and plan to do so again this summer. It's
> not just youngsters, either. I'm over 70, and did
> it with a buddy older than I.
>
> And finally (whew, you saw) many railtrails also
> get private support. Home for me is Laramie, and I
> donate to the Medicine Bow Railtrail support
> organization. And I ride it a lot, too.
>
> Bottom line, I'm glad that this right-of-way will
> see a second life and be well used.

Thank you, for this post!!

Date: 03/16/23 19:29
Author: goneon66

well said symph.  i am envious of your biking adventures...........

Date: 03/18/23 15:05
Author: zars

>>>Will they keep the runaway ramps for down-grade cyclists?<<<

I thought about that myself when I heard the news.  Yes, especially for the steepest portion.  All that would be needed is a sand filled trench.  I think there are two of them.  Perhaps leave the rails on one of them as a point of interest.

Steve

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0577 seconds