Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS in the Shenandoah Valley

Date: 03/30/23 09:41
NS in the Shenandoah Valley
Author: gcw

Yesterday I found NS 12Z northbound out of Shenandoah Yard.

1) Passing the restored station at Luray, VA

2) With a northbound train and a morning sun angle, the trestle at Compton, VA is an obvious choice.

3) This is more or less a grab shot, as I barely beat the train here and didn't have time to set up. CPLs at Bentonville, VA.

Date: 03/30/23 12:16
Re: NS in the Shenandoah Valley
Author: refarkas

First-rate photos - Great bridge photo.
Bob

Date: 03/30/23 12:21
Author: jgilmore

Great series!

JG

Date: 03/31/23 05:14
Author: mbrotzman

The third photo appears to be from Acorn Hill. I have friends who own the property where the cows are adjacent to the interlocking.

Date: 03/31/23 06:31

mbrotzman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The third photo appears to be from Acorn Hill. I
> have friends who own the property where the cows
> are adjacent to the interlocking.

Yes, I believe that is the property. The actual landmark called Acorn Hill is on the west side of Rt. 340 from the tracks, however there is a cowpasture on the east side of the tracks just past this signal. The farm entrance has a nameboard, but I can't recall the name. It may be called Acorn Hill Farm.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Edit: just looked at an NS timetable, this signal is indeed called Acorn Hill. I've always thought it was Bentonville but that is the signal at the north end of the siding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/23 16:47 by gcw.

Date: 03/31/23 16:28
Author: Pumbaamd

Great pics, thanks. How long is that siding?  Is it used often? Does Luray have a similar siding? Again, thanks.
Rick

Date: 03/31/23 16:45

Pumbaamd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pics, thanks. How long is that siding?  Is
> it used often? Does Luray have a similar siding?
> Again, thanks.
> Rick

Thanks for the comments.

The siding at Bentonville is 6057 feet, according to a NS timetable from 2008. I don't know how often it was used in the past, but with the current train lengths I would guess almost never these days.

To my knowledge, Luray never had a siding. I have a book with a photo of the Luray station from the 1920s. The area between the station and the track has a platform which includes a canopy. Only a single track is visible.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds