Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Green Wetlands of South Jersey

Date: 05/19/23 06:12
The Green Wetlands of South Jersey
Author: cr2581

I took advantage of another nice spring day to document the change of seasons in Logan Township. Fresh green foliage has replaced the barren look of winter and the tide was in at Raccoon Creek, so I headed over to Bridgeport to intercept local freight WPCA-11 working south at Pedricktown. The wait was brief and I was able to get several good images as 11 slowly crossed the causeway and stopped to close the movable bridge. Yes, you heard right, the swing span is now operated from the cab of the locomotive. Bridge tenders are a thing of the past. A radio controlled logic system was installed to improve efficency and minimize delay over the waterway for public vessels. The bridge remains open from March through November and is closed ony when trains need to cross. Technology is a beautiful thing when it works and yesterday was no exception.

Enjoy !

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/23 10:37 by cr2581.

Date: 05/19/23 07:08
Re: The Green Wetlands of South Jersey
Author: refarkas

Great aerial photos.
Bob

Date: 05/19/23 07:38
Author: perklocal

Awesome shots !  I like the 1707 too.

Date: 05/19/23 07:42
Author: Gonut1

Nice.
Gonut

Date: 05/19/23 08:36
Author: ironmtn

A superb series. Wonderful awareness of the surroundings, fine composition, and a very interesting (and seldom seen) topic as well. And excellent use of the drone to get the shots in a unique and fresh way. IOTD nomination here, Mr. Webmaster!

Thanks for some real beauties!

MC

Date: 05/20/23 04:14
Author: jmbreitigan

Three beautiful aerial images. Great framing. A tip of the hat on your IOTD 
John

Date: 05/20/23 04:38
Author: LX15840

Great pictures. I googled mapped the area, and there is a huge amount of rail infrastructure there. Obviously the industry in that area has taken advantage of the superb access to rail resources that exists in that area. 

Date: 05/20/23 09:55
Author: Lighter

> Yes, you
> heard right, the swing span is now operated from
> the cab of the locomotive.

"ALEXA, Open drawbridge"
"I'm having trouble connecting. Please check your network connection and try again."

Date: 05/20/23 10:19
Author: ironmtn

Congrats on a very well deserved IOTD!

MC

Date: 05/22/23 12:56
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds