Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The "briefing..."NW 611

Date: 05/21/23 17:22
The "briefing..."NW 611
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

The crew of the NW 611 seem to brief each other on the day's run; as well as talking about tomorrow's run being May 21, 2023. Oldest daughter had reserved a room in Paradise, Pennsylvania for the night of May 20/21 so that we could go in and get some photos of her before being sent back to Roanoke, Va. This was a belated birthday gift me as she wanted go with me as we do not know where my health will be regarding my PPMS and its progression. Decided to do this now as I am still able to drive...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/23 05:05 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 05/21/23 17:24
Re: The "briefing..."NW 611

Numbers four thru six are self explanatory...

Date: 05/21/23 17:26

Not to be forgotten is the Strasburg Railroad 475...all in all a great trip !!!  Thanks for looking...

Date: 05/21/23 17:26
Author: refarkas

Photo one has a great human interest element to it.
Bob

Date: 05/21/23 18:53
Author: cabsignaldrop

Great photos, wishing you good health...

Posted from Android

Date: 05/21/23 18:58
Author: Lackawanna484

That sounds like a great trip for you and your daughter.  Hope things go well for you in the future.

Date: 05/21/23 20:21
Author: Gonut1

Very confusing post? Health issues aside, not sure what you are trying to say?
However, nice to see NS 611.
Go

Date: 05/21/23 21:10
Author: Off-pending

Hope your health improves.

The first pic is great. But the stupid hi-vis vest ruins it.

I wish the tourist railroads would ban them. They are not needed in that setting.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/22/23 00:39
Author: ClubCar

Very nice photos of 611.  I too wish you nothing but good health.  As we age, health becomes the most important part of our lives.  As for the wearing of the special vests on tourist railroads, it does not bother me as in this day and age, everyone must practice complete safety.  I'm sure that the insurance companies across the country who insure these operations desire that the workers do everything that they can to practice complete SAFETY and therefore if it takes these vests to keep these trains running, so be it.  Insurance today is very expensive.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/22/23 03:38
Author: ALCO630

There must be something wrong with my eyes, I never had a problem seeing people, silly vest or no.

Posted from iPhone

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 05/22/23 04:35
Author: DJ-12

Nice human element shot. Hope your health improves.

As for the people whining about the his viz vest, get over yourselves. The color draws the eye which is the intent. This is a safety enhancement, just like bow handle switches and hand held radios. The safety of the crew members is more important than your need to imagine in your mind’s eye that its 1950 again.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/22/23 05:07

I was diagnosed with primary Progressive multiple sclerosis January of 2022. I have to have IV infusion treatments every 6 months to slow the progression of the disease down. I was extremely tired last night after getting back from that drive and I apologize for any confusion regarding the post.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/23 06:34
Author: Off-pending

DJ-12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice human element shot. Hope your health
> improves.
>
> As for the people whining about the his viz vest,
> get over yourselves. The color draws the eye which
> is the intent. This is a safety enhancement, just
> like bow handle switches and hand held radios. The
> safety of the crew members is more important than
> your need to imagine in your mind’s eye that its
> 1950 again.
>
> Posted from iPhone

If it was truly for the crews safety, the whole crew would be wearing them. This is more than likely a wannabe weekend warrior railroader. What makes him safer than say the person standing right next to him in the Conductor’s uniform. Absolutely nothing in this setting.

The hi viz has its uses and advantages in certain locations. This is not one of them. Nor is most tourist operations.

Date: 05/22/23 08:31

The gentleman in the high visibility vest was from the Roanoke Museum in Virginia. Apparently the Strasburg RR is eager to get the Norfolk Western 611 off the property and back to Roanoke.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/23/23 00:39
Author: Drknow

The hi-viz vest “fad” on US railroads was driven by the safetycrats, along with painting about anything outside of the yard office in yellow.

When everything is “special” then nothing is.

The vests are basically a feel good joke, and if I was anywhere near a hot steam locomotive I would refuse to wear one. The awesome synthetic material would become tar on human skin if for some reason exposed to high heat… like on a steam locomotive.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/23/23 18:48
Author: cabsignaldrop

Great pictures. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0818 seconds