Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Truck strikes NS train in Missouri causing derailment/fatality.

Date: 05/21/23 18:45
Truck strikes NS train in Missouri causing derailment/fatality.
Author: NSDash9

A truck struck NS train 96Z earlier today in Monroe County, Missouri, resulting in a derailment.  The truck driver was killed in the wreck, while the NS crew was not injured.  The lead locomotive, UP 8071, sustained minor damage and remained upright, while the trailing unit, freshly rebuilt AC44C6M 4690, rolled over on its side. More info and photos:

https://www.wgem.com/2023/05/21/train-derailment-monroe-county-mo/

Date: 05/21/23 21:33
Re: Truck strikes NS train in Missouri causing derailment/fatalit
Author: ironmtn

A very unfortunate accident, and sad situation. I am deeply sorry for the trucker who lost his life, and for his family, friends and colleagues at work. Sincere condolences to them.

I know that crossing on US 24 very well from fairly frequent trips on that highway when I lived in Columbia, Missouri several years back.

The crossing is a "cornfield crossing" well out from any town and in the middle of the countryside on a straight and level, well-paved, well-aligned two-lane federal highway. It's on the former Wabash between Hannibal, Mo. and Moberly, Mo. and on from there to Kansas City. The crossing is well marked and signed, and sufficiently so in advance for the speed limit (55 mph if I recall), with crossing signal flashers including on an overhead cantilever, and gates as well. The track crosses US 24 at an angle, but visibility is relatively clear in relation to the track, and very good to be able to see the warning devices ahead at the crossing.

Because it's out in open countryside, away from any town and slower speed limit, people can come barreling up upon it at a rural highway speed limit. The few times I encountered a train there (moving at track speed, which I'd guess to be 60 mph there), the warning by flashers and other devices were sufficiently far in advance as to be able to slow and stop fairly comfortably and safely. But I always watched my rear view mirror, put my emergency flashers on, and tapped my brakes slowing down to flash my taillights at following vehicles. It's the kind of spot where if you have to slow down and stop from open rural highway speed you hope that drivers behind you are paying attention and also slowing down well, and that they don't rear-end you.

It's a safely designed crossing, and it was always well maintained by NS, and to the extent of their involvement, by MoDOT. But it does demand attention from drivers, and a good response from them if there is a train and the crossing signals are actuated.

Glad to know that no NS employees were injured. So sorry for the trucker who lost his life. A very unfortunate situation.

MC

Date: 05/22/23 00:47
Author: ClubCar

NSDash9 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A truck struck NS train 96Z earlier today in
> Monroe County, Missouri, resulting in a
> derailment.  The truck driver was killed in the
> wreck, while the NS crew was not injured.  The
> lead locomotive, UP 8071, sustained minor damage
> and remained upright, while the trailing unit,
> freshly rebuilt AC44C6M 4690, rolled over on its
> side. More info and photos:
>
> https://www.wgem.com/2023/05/21/train-derailment-m
> onroe-county-mo/
First of all, condolences to the family of the truck driver, my he rest in peace.  But why can't the darn news media get it right?  They immediately state with their headlines "Train Derailment in Monroe County, Missouri."  This is so wrong and it's pitiful journalism.  The headline should say, "Truck Hits a Moving Train at a Marked Grade Crossing Causing a Small Derailment."
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/22/23 06:02
Author: Lackawanna484

As in So many businesses, newspapers have lost a lot of institutional knowledge. Guys who covered the railroad beat for 30 years, know the people, craft members, and the terminology, etc.

Now the poor reporter may be covering a school board today, a sewer issue in the next county tomorrow, and a "train wreck" the day after.

All while they have resumes out for their next job.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/22/23 14:04
Author: longliveSP

ClubCar Wrote:
> First of all, condolences to the family of the
> truck driver, my he rest in peace.  But why can't
> the darn news media get it right?  They
> immediately state with their headlines "Train
> Derailment in Monroe County, Missouri."  This is
> so wrong and it's pitiful journalism.  The
> headline should say, "Truck Hits a Moving Train at
> a Marked Grade Crossing Causing a Small
> Derailment."
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

6 words and 12 syllables vs 14 words and 19 syllables?

Existing subject is factual and short.

Date: 05/22/23 14:40
Author: HotWater

This is a bit confusing, to me anyway. Did a semi truck drive into the side of the moving train? Or, did the moving train strike a semi truck at a street crossing?

Date: 05/22/23 15:08
Author: Spoony81

HotWater Wrote:
> This is a bit confusing, to me anyway. Did a semi
> truck drive into the side of the moving train? Or,
> did the moving train strike a semi truck at a
> street crossing?

I’ve heard from different outlets that it drove into the side

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/22/23 15:27
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

"...Troopers said the semi contained a fertilizer and the train, owned by Norfolk Southern, was transporting rocks..."

Rocks beat fertilizer.

Date: 05/22/23 17:45
Author: Q-GP30

Our local news even headlined “train derails” when the NS hit a lowboy with load just down the tracks in Paris MO. Media always blames it on the rails!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/22/23 17:58
Author: Spoony81

Q-GP30 Wrote:
> Our local news even headlined “train derails”
> when the NS hit a lowboy with load just down the
> tracks in Paris MO. Media always blames it on the
> rails!
>
> Posted from iPhone

The train derailed… that seems pretty factual to me. The meat and potatoes of “why” is in the article

Date: 05/23/23 20:37
Author: justalurker66

ironmtn Wrote:
> The track crosses US 24 at an angle, but visibility is relatively clear in relation to the track, and very good to be able to see the warning devices ahead at the crossing.

The train approached the road from the driver's front left - the wider angle at the crossing. This was not the typical "train sneaking up on the blind side of the truck" or even heading the same direction as the truck from the driver's side. The area to the driver's left was a cornfield so he should have had clear vision of the approaching balast train.

US 24 is two lanes and posted at 60 MPH.approaching that crossing, which has a large "watch for stopped vehicles" advance warning sign for the crossing. The crossing itself has gates and simple overhead lights along with the standard lights and crossbucks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds