Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Maryland Midland Railroad Derailment

Date: 05/25/23 10:00
Maryland Midland Railroad Derailment
Author: ClubCar

Just off the News wire, two cars of a Maryland Midland Railroad Train derailed a short time ago at the Wesley Road Crossing in Carroll County, Maryland.  These cars were carrying rocks, and there were no injuries.  This line used to be part of the Western Maryland Railway Main Line many years ago.  No other details were available.  I'm sure someone who lives near that area will give us more details and possibly some photos.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/25/23 11:09
Re: Maryland Midland Railroad Derailment
Author: gcw

One of the news stations in Baltimore posted a short video. All the derailed cars had been cleared by the time the TV crew arrived:

No injuries from Maryland Midland Railway train derailment in Carroll County - CBS News

Date: 05/25/23 16:26
Author: WM_1109

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Ends up the crushed stone wasn't hazardous.
In fact, the other day, they were (shockingly) dumping similar material all over their own ROW!

/Ted

Date: 05/25/23 16:55
Author: bigsavage

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just off the News wire, two cars of a Maryland
> Midland Railroad Train derailed a short time ago
> at the Wesley Road Crossing in Carroll County,
> Maryland.  These cars were carrying rocks, and
> there were no injuries.  This line used to be
> part of the Western Maryland Railway Main Line
> many years ago.  No other details were
> available.  I'm sure someone who lives near that
> area will give us more details and possibly some
> photos.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

After watching the vid, actual location is the Patapsco Rd. crossing in the village of Patapsco. While the historic former store/station known as the "Whistle Stop Cafe" was apparently not damaged, there is concern for historical markers relating  to a 1905 train wreck that happened nearby.
Pics from the Baltimore Sun, which erroneously reported this as a "CSX" train...

Date: 05/26/23 01:45
Author: ClubCar

Thank you so much Big Savage for your photos and coverage of the derailment on the former Western Maryland Railway Line, now the Maryland Midland.  Again, they are great photos and I am happy no one was injured.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/26/23 09:30
Author: irhoghead

That last picture says it all. "There goes my holiday weekend."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds