Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question for you engineers

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/03/23 10:29
Question for you engineers
Author: pennsy3750

We've all seen and heard about railfans standing too close to the track in a tight spot, and causing the engineer some stress and anxiety for obvious reasons.  And most of us have done it.

So my question is, does a remotely-operated camera on a tripod cause the same level of consternation?  There have been tight spots where it was the only way to get the shot, but I didn't like being there any more than the train crew did, so I left my old backup camera in unmanned mode while I used the other camera at a safe distance.  That way I can still get the shot, but there is a much lower risk of adverse consequences if a camera and tripod bite the dust while I'm standing elsewhere.

How about a GoPro-type video camera set in the gauge, if its below the top of the rails?

Your thoughts?

Date: 06/03/23 11:08
Re: Question for you engineers
Author: Notch7

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> How about a GoPro-type video camera set in the
> gauge, if its below the top of the rails?
>
> Your thoughts?

I ran over several in the gauge cameras.  I didn't care as long as it didn't look like a bomb.  I ran up on a person planting a big pipe bomb under an adjacent mainline once.  I got police to apprehend the person and remove the pipe bomb, but it does give you thoughts about future incidents of that nature.  As for other cameras, I never wanted to hit anything I might have to report.  It is a hassle.  It takes up time.  It can delay your train.  You might have to fill out a written report.  You have to talk to too many people about incidents.  They don't understand, and they and others will want to talk to you about it the next day.

The problem with drones with cameras is that some people don't know how to fly them.  One crashed in a tree near my train.  Some didn't give my train enough clearance.  Some hovered over my stopped train as if doing surveilance.  That doesn't help your cause when you know you have local rulebooking trainmasters with drone cameras.  

Date: 06/03/23 12:02
Author: alco244

with all the weed weasels out to find proficiency failures, i see something out here that is not normal, i call the dispatcher, let somebody in authority deal with it, too many close calls with rail buffs and even had 2, what i believe suicide attempts, please stay away for your safety and mine, doors fall off cars, lumber car cables come loose and drag, kill you in a heartbeat, average engineer will have a fatality during their career.

Date: 06/03/23 12:11

alco244 Wrote:
> doors fall off cars, lumber car cables come
> loose and drag, kill you in a heartbeat,

That's exactly my point.  If I a door comes off a car or a lumber cable hangs overboard and takes out my spare camera its a bummer, but the local fire department won't be coming out and I'm still going home in one piece.

Date: 06/03/23 12:28
Author: ts1457

Is "the shot" really that important?

Date: 06/03/23 14:03

ts1457 Wrote:
> Is "the shot" really that important?

It is for the purpose of this discussion.

Date: 06/03/23 14:32
Author: FECgp40

As an engineer who's experienced multiple fatalities, if someone puts a camera on a tripod close to the track, I couldn't care less. Whenever someone puts something on the track or between the gauge it gives me pause. I can't always tell right away what it is, and that uncertainty isn't a good feeling.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/03/23 14:44
Author: halfmoonharold

Not an engineer, but as a 20+ year employee, I don't think anyone has any business putting anything between the rails. It's a hobby, lets keep it in perspective here. Plus, it's blatant trespassing, with the danger that entails. 

Date: 06/03/23 14:56
Author: alco244

my earlier post, in no ways imply that i approve or condone, what amounts to trespassing, if your looking for my approval, you don't have it, try being on a runway at JFK and doing the same as you do around the tracks, stand back, take all the photos you want, spend a little extra for good telephoto lens, happy and safe railfaning.

Date: 06/03/23 14:59
Author: CPCoyote

FECgp40 Wrote:
> As an engineer who's experienced multiple
> fatalities, if someone puts a camera on a tripod
> close to the track, I couldn't care less. Whenever
> someone puts something on the track or between the
> gauge it gives me pause. I can't always tell right
> away what it is, and that uncertainty isn't a good
> feeling.
>
> Posted from Android

That pretty much sums up my feelings.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/03/23 14:59
Author: Spoony81

pennsy3750 Wrote:
> We've all seen and heard about railfans standing
> too close to the track in a tight spot, and
> causing the engineer some stress and anxiety for
> obvious reasons.  And most of us have done it.
>
> So my question is, does a remotely-operated camera
> on a tripod cause the same level of
> consternation?  There have been tight spots where
> it was the only way to get the shot, but I didn't
> like being there any more than the train crew did,
> so I left my old backup camera in unmanned mode
> while I used the other camera at a safe
> distance.  That way I can still get the shot, but
> there is a much lower risk of adverse consequences
> if a camera and tripod bite the dust while I'm
> standing elsewhere.
>
> How about a GoPro-type video camera set in the
> gauge, if its below the top of the rails?
>
> Your thoughts?

Union Pacific put out a PSA years ago about cameras in the gauge. It was a big no no to them.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/03/23 16:10
Author: justalurker66

pennsy3750 Wrote:
> And most of us have done it.

Intentionally? I have be caught in a bad location (on a narrow passenger platform with no escape) once. It was a quick grab shot and by the time I got the camera started there wasn't time to run. One of those "lets not do that again" moments. ALWAYS have an escape plan and do your best to never put yourself in a position to need to use it. I stay at least 30ft back and still watch for loose equipment and derailments. The tripod - never closer than the closest fixed obstruction (such as power poles). Trying not to raise any alarms with the crews.

I have seen videos from between the rails or the wrong side of a crossing gates. Not impressed. I can do better from a safe distance (that's why there is a zoom function on the camera).

(When I was younger I did consider a "between the rails" shot but then I watched a few videos and wasn't impressed enough to want to replicate someone else's shot.)

Date: 06/03/23 16:12
Author: justalurker66

halfmoonharold Wrote:
> Not an engineer, but as a 20+ year employee, I don't think anyone has any business
> putting anything between the rails. It's a hobby, lets keep it in perspective here.
> Plus, it's blatant trespassing, with the danger that entails.

Agreed.

Date: 06/03/23 20:44
Author: Jettrainfan

How close are we talking? Honestly, half the time the same shot can be taken from a farther distance away (3 feet v.s. 12 feet) with the help of zooming in the camera.

Remember, these crew members are doing this for a living. Try not to stress them out more than they already are.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/03/23 21:54
Author: TheButcherofBena

Just short of my home terminal there was some idiot who apparently enjoyed placing a baby carriage in the middle of the tracks.  It was the worst.  

Date: 06/04/23 04:21
Author: DJ-12

Honestly, besides the trespassing aspect, any picture you get where you are up on the ballast line whether in person or with a remote isn’t going to be a work of art and if you are going for a telemash shot that can be just as easily accomplished with a long lens from a safe distance away. Same with video cameras in the gauge. Same with the drone. Why would anyone buy a tool that lets you get an almost unlimited number of angles and then fly it right above a locomotive? Besides annoying the crew this person is going to get a mediocre image or video. Bottom line here is that if is anyone doing any of these things close enough to the tracks that it gives them pause as to what the crew might think, then it means you are too close, period.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/23 06:49 by DJ-12.

Date: 06/04/23 12:14
Author: RetiredHogger

Stay off the ballast. Leave yourself an out. If you hear the air pop, where are you going to go (if you have time)?

My two cents.

Date: 06/05/23 01:56
Author: Ron

Here's what should be an eye opener for those that want to stand next to the ROW and get in there real close for that one (last ??) photograph.

Ron

Date: 06/05/23 05:14
Author: atsfer

wow, thanks for posting that shot...I always tell people to stay 50 feet away from a passing train at least.

Date: 06/05/23 05:42
Author: Drknow

Set your camera stuff up wherever you want, but keep your self back out of harms way.

Otherwise we don’t really care.

PS. PLEASE keep kids and dogs on a leash near the ROW. Those things we DO worry about.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0821 seconds