Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Slow Sunday in Lake Erie Land

Date: 11/19/23 16:05
Slow Sunday in Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

Sunday November 19, 2023
Vermilion Ohio area
Sunny and Nice

The AAR states: Total carloads for the week ending November 11 were 233,745 carloads, up 2.3 percent compared with the same week in 2022, while U.S. weekly intermodal volume was 263,603 containers and trailers, up 4.4 percent compared to 2022.

But it seems much slower while prowling out and around looking for action to photograph. Another substantial block of time and travel out there with little to show for it.
And indeed according to the AAR for the first 45 weeks of 2023, it is lower than last year: For the first 45 weeks of 2023, U.S. railroads reported cumulative volume of 10,154,581 carloads, up 0.1 percent from the same point last year; and 10,929,010 intermodal units, down 6.8 percent from last year. Total combined U.S. traffic for the first 45 weeks of 2023 was 21,083,591 carloads and intermodal units, a decrease of 3.6 percent compared to last year.

I can certainly say the size of many of the intermodal trains of late has been rather small here in these traffic lanes. 

1. With nothing much to disturb anyone's solitude and nothing much to do, we spot this young white-tail wondering "who goes there?" while diverting our attention to a hike. I grew up in Upstate New York and lived for many years in the Adirondacks. We called these common nuisance creatures wood goats.

2. Even many of the birds have deserted the area, but a nice red Cardinal has found some berries to pig out on. 

3. Finally after driving about the NKP and the Lake Shore Line there is a headlight !  This is Train 258 out of Kansas City, MO heading for Rutherford, PA rounding the bend at MP 226, Joppa Road west of Vermilion. His power is NS 8096, 9723 and 8056. Those fresh new ties along the right-of-way still have not been inserted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/23 16:13 by train1275.

Date: 11/19/23 16:11
Re: Slow Sunday in Lake Erie Land
Author: train1275

4. The power and majesty of a passing train is hard to beat such as watching the 258 roll by.

5. At the Vermilion Rail Park is the 269 westbound and he is a short one, headed for Landers Yard (ex Wabash) in Chicago out of the Port of Newark, NJ. He's got NS 8037 and 9566 as power.

And that was it ... I did hear that there was a problem with the DB lift bridge in Cleveland that bottled things up, so that might account for some of it. And then missed the NKP heritage leading the10Q out of Bellevue on the NKP ... what a day.

Date: 11/19/23 17:04
Author: MacBeau

Take heart, you still came home with something, and that last shot is rather nice.
—Mac

Date: 11/19/23 17:18
Author: dschlegel

I’ve heard it said and said it myself countless times, railfanning is like fishing. Some days are hot and others are not, but even the not so hot days are better than a day at work!

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/19/23 19:53
Author: Gonut1

Train 1275,
Of course I don't know if the deer caught in your lense is a Buck or a Doe. But he/she is a pretty animal caught in your lens. I have a real love/hate relationship with deer as to the damage they cause on the highway and a couple years ago to my relatively urban garden. After a couple weeks of damage in the garden I attributed it to a usual goundhog (like this summer, just horrendous!). But after a couple weeks of not catching the elusive groundhog I saw a deer hoofprint in the garden. Ooops wrong critter! A bit of bird netting at the low point in the garden fence kept its further intrusion at bay. Pretty animals but they can be very destructive. The Cardinals not so much.
As far as rail traffic goes I believe we are in a waffling state of increase/vs decrease. Thanks for the reports around Vermilion, looks like a great place to retire. Not sure where I'll retire but thinking right here at home. But sadly no Lakers visible from here 
Gonut

Date: 11/20/23 14:35
Author: ns1000

Pic 2 came out nice...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0534 seconds