Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Horseshoe Curve This Weekend

Date: 11/05/03 15:13
Horseshoe Curve This Weekend
Author: Anonymous User

I am making plans to visit Horseshoe Curve this weekend, rain or shine. Just look for the car with Texas plates.

This is one of the places I have wanted to visit sice I've been interested in trains. Hopefully the weather will cooperate...

Date: 11/05/03 15:21
Re: Horseshoe Curve This Weekend
Author: supersock

Stop at Cassandra and Cresson too. The West Slope gang is planning a railfan get together at a local restaurant near Johnstown, PA this Saturday. One more railfan will only make it more enjoyable.

After a good day at the tracks, what could be better than a steak dinner?

BTW, on Saturday night, the SD80MACS usually make an appearance at the Cresson engine terminal. You into night photography?

Brian Lingenfelter

Date: 11/05/03 15:57

Dinner sounds good to me. Where can I find y'all?

Date: 11/05/03 16:39
Author: RunningMan

The PV's Warrior Ridge and Pennsylvania are shown to be on TR 45 on Saturday due at Altoona at 1.11 PM.

Same cars shown on TR 42 on Monday

Date: 11/05/03 17:19
Author: Ster2Block

supersock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stop at Cassandra and Cresson too. The West Slope
> gang is planning a railfan get together at a local
> restaurant near Johnstown, PA this Saturday. One
> more railfan will only make it more enjoyable.
>
> After a good day at the tracks, what could be
> better than a steak dinner?
>
> BTW, on Saturday night, the SD80MACS usually
> make an appearance at the Cresson engine terminal.
> You into night photography?
>
> Brian Lingenfelter

Hey Brian Lingenfelter,

I wish I could come to CP-Ryans. Can you send the private West Slope jet out to Akron-Canton airport to pick me up? 2 hour round trip!

Ster 2

Date: 11/05/03 17:30

Sorry Mr.2Block. The enterprise is in the shop (bad warp core). If the warp drive were on-line, we would have the power to beam you over in a milli-second.

I'll have a steak in your honor though.

Brian Lingenfelter

Date: 11/05/03 18:48
Dumb Question

What's at Cassandra?

Date: 11/05/03 20:31
Re: Dumb Question

Cassandra is a small community 2 miles east of Portage, PA. There is an old state route bridge that spans the tracks in Cassandra.

The area surrounding the bridge has been cleared out of all brush and trees and benches have been put in.

There are draggers at Lilly and Portage. So unless your asleep, its hard to miss a train.

Go to Railpictures.net and punch up "D.Davies" as a photographer. He has pics from that area on there from all4 seasons.

If you've never been there, its a "must" visit!

Date: 11/05/03 20:33
Author: Ster2Block

OK Brian,

Have one in mine, and 5 in Scoobs, we know dogs love steak!!

Ster 2

Date: 11/06/03 07:00
Author: railtrekker

Boilermaker has the ultimate job, Railfanning and getting paid for it no less. Good luck getting some new contracts established with the various markets out there. I expect to see some photos posted somewhere. Hope to see you in St. Louis again soon. Does the better half like it back in Tx.? If you don't have hotel accomodations I believe that there is one trackside at Cresson.

Date: 11/06/03 11:22
Author: bluesboyst

Make sure you stay at the Station Inn in Cresson. The proprietor, Tom Davis, is a great host.

Date: 11/06/03 13:26
Author: JUTower

I'll second that nomination... http://www.stationinnpa.com/

Date: 11/06/03 15:35
Author: dsktc

Will they be in Pittsburgh this weekend?
If so, do you know when?

Dave

"The PV's Warrior Ridge and Pennsylvania are shown to be on TR 45 on Saturday due at Altoona at 1.11 PM.

Same cars shown on TR 42 on Monday"

Date: 11/06/03 15:56
Author: ddavies

Can't do that ... I pulled all my images from RP.

But you can see it attached.

Date: 11/06/03 15:57
Author: ddavies

And in snow.

Date: 11/06/03 19:03

Hey RT, whenever I start to make plans to visit St. Louis, something comes up (and Chicago, CA, etc.).

I wanted to stay at the Station Inn, but I need phone access (this is a working trip). I'll make it back, and make plans to stay there. I too have heard lots of good things about the place.

Date: 11/06/03 23:12
Author: saludamtn

Eat a steak for me will ya? And how about sending the West Slope jet to Onslow County? I was up there last week and didn't want to go home. Oh, well. I'll get up there again sometime. Just wish was next week instead of next year. Say hi to the Station Inn folks for me. Just ask em about the guys from NC and hope they say something good about us.
Saludamtn (trainless and pining for Cresson in Onslow County) out.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.05 seconds