Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Curious minor derailment

Date: 05/25/04 10:27
Curious minor derailment
Author: tp117

Heard this getting ready to take my son to school. Appx 0555 Q438 derailed one truck of one car at Landenberg Jct, DE. Circumstances leading to this began the night before. Around 1900 some motorist damaged the crossing gates or mast at one of the two road crossings in this area. That caused trains to flag this crossing, apparently all night long.

Q438 was lined up the main but route was changed to siding because it had to stop to get new paperwork. (This happens to some train about once a day). As it was starting to pull from flagging the crossing train went into emergency. Conductor found the derailed car about 30 deep. There was no seperation or broken knuckle, even tho the engineer said he only had one unit (4737) and sixty some cars and there was no jerking. Within 25 minutes they cut the crossing to clear traffic but flasher on Newport Gap Pike still on. Went by there on a little detour on the way to school and we could see the truck off and not quite in line. It's about the only time I ran around the gates (along with many others) but I was the only one who knew the railroad was at a standstill there. No officials were there yet. Car was a tank car, non-hazmat maybe slurry and empty.

I was thinking they might be able to block the truck and pull it on with the power from q136 right behind, but R J Corman was called. After getting son to school I went back to see q136s power at next crossing west and q406 was behind him. Both trains were shoet and fit in the mile and a half from there to Delaware Park. I went home, too hot and I do not like to get in the way when the RR has a problem. Scanner said Corman arrived about 0930 and car rerailed, moved away, rear end yarded and q136 recrewed and went east about 1130. Of course other trains delayed and q173 not by until 1245.

The curious thing is why this car derailed where it did at such a slow speed with no seperation. Some comment indicated q438 may have had almost 80 cars. of course, if q438 and q406 had been on time (they are evening trains) then q136 and q173 would not have been stuck. And if this car was going to have an argument with the track it might be a good thing the train was going slow due to flagging the crossings or the accident could have been worse.

This for info only. Please do not rag about CSX track maintenance. I watched three mile and a half long trains moving 40 to 50 mph past this same spot flawlessly yesterday. The MofW folks on this line work harder, have the best attitude, and get the least pay of all the workers. They work on this line every day, and the track is as good as their efforts and CSX's budgets allow.

Date: 05/25/04 11:05
Re: Curious minor derailment
Author: Yarddogh

Interesting story. Explanation probably even moreso. Was it passing through a complex of switches ??

Date: 05/25/04 13:17
Re: Curious minor derailment
Author: tp117

only one switch from the main to the siding. My view from driving over the crossing with an impatient driver behind me was quick. Logic says it was not up to the frog of the switch or it would have been worse. Had to get kid to school, plus RR folks would arrive soon and no place to see it closely from public property. It could have picked the switch, which can be either a track or a car cause; or the car could have been derailed before the switch point. I might learn cause someday. I rather suspect the car, and I did miss conversations while in stores.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds