Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSXT & K9APU

Date: 05/27/04 05:43
CSXT & K9APU
Author: bill_whh

On some CSXT locmotives that are equipped with K9APU devices,
What are these things?
Why would the orange light behind the dynamics be flashing? I think they are related...
Most of the ones i have seen are on Sd 40-2's and such...

bill

Date: 05/27/04 06:05
Re: CSXT & K9APU
Author: oaksmodelrr

APU=Auxilliary Power Unit

Instead of leaving parked engines idling, the APU monitors the temperature and starts the engine only when it drops below a certain threshold to prevent freezing. Meant to save fuel, create less polution and minimize run time (and maintenance) on the prime mover. Also, apparently from antecdotes, APU's can kick in or shut down the engine while in normal operation, usually at the most inopportune times.

Date: 05/27/04 06:06
Author: csx5000

the K9APU is like a generator. by what ive heard if it gets below a certin temputre, the device automatically starts the prime mover. if it gets above a certin temp, the K9APU shuts down the prime mover. im going by what a csx engineer told me 2 years ago
railfan1 out

Date: 05/27/04 06:10
Author: Robbman

APU Auxilaury Power Unit

Baically allows the prime mover to be shut down, thus reducing fuel consumption and emmissions... yet still maintain coolant flow and some heat ( prevents freezing ), and they also provide electricity for lights and cab heaters and such while the prime mover is shut down...

The yellow light blinks when the APU fails to start...

Date: 05/27/04 08:17
Author: csxt4617

bill_whh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On some CSXT locmotives that are equipped with
> K9APU devices,
> What are these things?
> Why would the orange light behind the dynamics be
> flashing? I think they are related...
> Most of the ones i have seen are on Sd 40-2's and
> such...

many of them are on units for local service, like GP38-2's and GP40-2's,
engines that see alot of idle time (when the local is off duty)

Date: 05/27/04 08:59
Author: oaksmodelrr

csxt4617 Wrote:
> many of them are on units for local service, like GP38-2's and GP40-2's, engines that see alot of idle time (when the local is off duty)

Most of the engines that make it to my neighborhood http://www.trainweb.org/oaksmodelrr/Lansdale2004.html have the APU installed.

Date: 05/28/04 10:43
Author: JoeyGooganelli

in my opinion as an engineer with csx, i hate them. they are costing money for the railroad. if they worked right, they aren't so bad. however, know csx's maintenance policy, we know they don't. the tend to shut the power down when you are using them. they will let the air bleed off making the brakes not work when first starting them up. and my biggest pet peeve about them, in the middle of winter, they will shut the engine down, along with all the heating for the cab. they are a great concept not yet perfected.

Joe

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds