Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Main Line sub near Bowling Green, KY

Date: 03/31/05 21:19
CSX Main Line sub near Bowling Green, KY
Author: shtinkypuppie

I will be making a trip out to Kentucky to meet my girlfriend's family. (by train, of course) We will be staying near Bowling Green, Kentucky. Is anyone familiar enough with this area to tell me about railfanning spots and traffic levels? Specifically, I'd like info on the spur from Park City to Glasgow, as Glasgow is the nearest place to her grandparent's home.

Date: 03/31/05 22:01
Re: CSX Main Line sub near Bowling Green, KY
Author: mobileunit

the local runs mon-fri on duty at bowling green at 0700 est time usually over at glasgow by 0900. train traffic is heavy, but mostly at night. maybe 7 or 8 trains in daylight of the 20 or so that run the line.

Date: 04/01/05 04:30
Re: CSX Main Line sub near Bowling Green, KY
Author: timecruncher

Don't forget the RJ Corman line that splits from CSX at Memphis Junction, KY, about four miles south of the Bowling Green depot. This is the ex-L&N line to Memphis (cut in the middle somewhere), but is an interesting branchline down through Russellville, Guthrie (crossing with very busy CSX mainline from Chicago) to Clarksville, and beyond.

I attended WKU for four years from 1968-1972, during the last years of pre-public ownership rail passenger service. Its hard to believe now that back then trains still had full crews, cabeese and uncovered auto-racks. Jeesh I'm getting old!

This is L&N 9 (actually, Louisville Division 209), preparing to highball south from Bowling Green on a sunny Spring afternoon in 1969 after taking care of a little station work. The depot to the right has been restored and houses a public library and would have been used for the Kentucky Cardinal if it had ever been extended to the Music City.

Hope you enjoy your visit to the Bluegrass!

da timecruncher

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds