Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Model Railroading > Is It Worth It To Make Your Own Uncoupling Magnets?

Date: 07/24/06 01:54
Is It Worth It To Make Your Own Uncoupling Magnets?
Author: GP30

Hello. As part of my now ongoing inventory of model railroading items on hand I have gotten an accurate count as to how many Kadee coupler equipped cars and engines are included and also found out that I only have at the most 6 still fully usable uncoupling magnets to go with the Kadee equipped stock. That lead to me wondering if it would be worth it to make more from scratch or just buy them as needed as the Kadee equipped portion of the rolling stock grows to be in the majority. Not all of the equipment will be Kadee only as I like unit trains and have a long term project going of building blocks of cars that are mostly drawbar coupled, with only a Kadee at each end of the block.

I believe that I have enough experience from making solenoids to make the electromagnet undertrack type and also familiar enough with using permanent magnets to make them in solenoid raised or manually raised versions. Fixed permanent magnets mounted between or just under the rails do not appeal to me as I never liked the idea of having them in a set location where they might easily snag derailment causing debris such as loose screws. That is a job for the cleaning car equipped with magnets that I like to run to locate debris ahead of and after running the other track cleaning cars and regular consists. It works well enough that I have stuck with doing it that way for years now no matter how well maintained the rolling stock and the layout might be.

I am fine with using manual uncouplers of the stick variety if it is really needed but at my age and as I get older to have a bit less reaching to do when running an operating session is reason enough to go for having more magnetic uncouplers. My options for the magnets to use in making those of the mechanically activated type run from 3/8" wide x 1/8" thick rounds to larger rounds up to 1" wide x 1/4" thick. Opinions and ideas? Thank you.

GP30

Date: 07/24/06 10:59
Re: Is It Worth It To Make Your Own Uncoupling Magnets?
Author: ATSF429

Unless you are on a very tight budget I would get the Kadee magnets or equal. They are not that expensive.
Also you know they are of the proper strength to do the job without horsing around.

Date: 07/24/06 22:05
Author: GP30

The 6 that I still consider to be worth keeping are undertrack models and the survivors from a bulk puchase of used equipment several years back so I got my money out of them long ago. I had not yet given too much thought as to the strength of the magnets other than how to adjust the positioning when raised if needed to reduce the magnetic field.

I do have a variety of smaller magnets to choose from and can test to see what works best until I can buy some new manufactured uncouplers if I decide to do so. As always I have to balance the desires against the financial limits and being of a do it myself nature had to ask about the idea here and get opinions in case I had not covered the idea fully on my own. Scratchbuilding and testing are part of the fun for me like it is for so many others so I am willing to try.

GP30

Date: 07/25/06 13:35
Author: TCnR

Quite a few folks prefer not to use the magnets and use some sort of uncoupling stick instead. May be a thought to move the existing electro-units to the more inaccessible tracks and phase-in uncoupling sticks in accessible areas.
Seems that some folks don't like spotting the car at exactly the same spot everytime, because of variables like car length or train length or number of cars to be set-out, kinda like some prototype industries want the cars on a holding track and they'll spot them later. Just an idea, it's a hobby, just another $0.02.

Date: 07/26/06 11:50
Author: BarstowRick

I once heard of a railroad that tried the magnetic un-couplers in the yard to enhance and improve the efficiency of switching. A button was located in the yard tower that could be activated by the yard master. On one occasion the railroads business train was coming through to be routed through the yard. It was said that someone in the tower sat on the button activating the magnet just as the train crossed over it. Watches, keys, buttons, belt buckles all were ripped from the surprised owners smashing to the floor. One old duffer with a metal plate in his leg was dragged to the floor. Cars came uncoupled and hose lines broke loose causing the train to go into emergency throwing everyone forward. Luggage with any kind of metal binding either securing it or in it, was unceremoniously spread all over the floor. The conductor said he's never seen anything like it. With the rail officials on board now hopping mad and a car all but permanently stuck to the elector-magnetic device, tempers started to flair. Words you've never heard of before. Crews were called out to re rail the cars, rebuild the track and remove the confounded, less then intelligent idea of a magnetic un-coupler. Heads rolled...first fire that guy whose idea this was and then the other so and so that sat on the button. The 100 questions started and it was soon learned... it wasn't a railroad employee that sat on the button it was a female visitor. And just what was going on in the tower anyway? Last I heard the yard was closed and officials swore never to use a magnet uncoupling device on their railroad again. One fella said he had his pants and vest ripped right off of him. Never mind the poor lady with the brazier that had a metal uplift support... in it.

RickH - Grin!

Date: 07/26/06 16:59
Author: HB90MACH

A box of 1 inch finish nails and bare copper wire wrapped around them. cheap simple, small, and you can adjust the power to adjust the strength. When painted, they can be invisible. Not to mention there wouldnt be a snag problem

Date: 07/26/06 20:42
Author: BarstowRick

I don't know of any reason...sure, why not use magnetic uncouplers for switching. On my layout, currently under construction, I have a spot that will be out of reach and out of sight. I will need a uncoupling device so I can run the engines around to the other end of the train. A magnetic device is the obvious answer. I like the homemade idea as suggested by HB90MACH. For those less inclined Micro Trains has a unique system. Just not sure if it works with other knuckle coupler types.

Oh, and if you haven't already figured it out... the story is fictitious. Just a look at what could go wrong should the railroads decide to use such a thing. Can't you just see it?

RickH - I claim copyright on the story! Unnnhhhh?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0699 seconds