Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Model Railroading > DCC and Athearn Genesis F-units

Date: 09/06/06 17:04
DCC and Athearn Genesis F-units
Author: Charles

I have a ABBA set of Athearn Genesis F-units that I want to put decoders into. I just read an article in MR about using NCE DASR decoders.

#1: Are the NCE DASR's the preferred decoders for these units?

#2: Since two of the decoders are going into B units and therefore doesn't need any lighting options, is there a cheaper decoder that I can use in the B units? Seems a waste of $$$$ to use a decoder that has more functions that I need.

#3: Consisting. Since they will almost always be run as a 4-unit set, would setting all 4 decoders to one address work, or would I have to set each one to a different address and then consist them together?

Thanks,
Charles

Date: 09/06/06 17:42
Re: DCC and Athearn Genesis F-units
Author: WrongWayMurphy

1. I put DASR's in all my Genesis F's. They fit right in,
easy to install, and rarely go south on me. Having used a lot
of different decoders, I bow to the greatness that is DASR.

2. Yes you could put cheap-o decoders in the B's but you get what you pay for.
I would recommend DASR's in all A's and B's. See above .

3. Either way is OK - if you plan to keep them together I can't
see where one option is better or worse than the other.

Date: 09/07/06 07:34
Re: DCC and Athearn Genesis F-units
Author: stivmac

I address all locos that are perminently MU'd together w/one #--the lead unit. This saves space on the MU circuit. Of course, I have the Dtrax Zephyr and its a bit limited before it says "full" You MAY want to consider #'s one AB set w/one # and the other AB w/another incase you want to swap out pairs. Just a bit more flexability. Since you are using the same brand, speed matching shouldn't be a problem, but I'd run them all together un coupled a a few feet apert to see if one is a BUNCH out of synch. It DOES happen!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds