Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Model Railroading > Soo Line RS27 from P2K model

Date: 10/28/06 13:32
Soo Line RS27 from P2K model
Author: nkark

Thought I'd share my latest completion. HO RS-27 from the proto 2000 model. I started with a factory decorated model and removed all letters and numbers with an abrasive gun then re-painted the white with the correct off-white/light grey color the Soo used, then re-lettered/numbered with Microscale decals. The box like thing behind the cab on the firemans side is called a Watchman heater(small diesel engine that keeps the prime mover warm when shut down) which was scratchbuilt from styrene/brass. The biggest change to the model was moving the fireman's cab window location. The original model incorrectly had the window offset towards the rear. The engineer's window is correctly offset, but the firemans' should not be, I guess its one of those "assumptions" that was made by P2K that if one is offset they both should be, wrong, too bad because the detailing on the rest of it is quite nice straight out of the box. One of the attached photos shows a comparison in window locations.

Thanks for looking,
Noah K.

Date: 10/28/06 15:32
Re: Soo Line RS27 from P2K model
Author: sooman1

Nice work.. the watchmans heater is awesome..

bob

Date: 10/28/06 15:35
Author: sooman1

Also wanted to mention the excellent weathering job .. what was your technique??

bob

Date: 10/28/06 18:02

The weathering was done by first airbrushing the whole model with a thin coating of Floquil grimy black/rust mix. Next, I rub away most of this overcoat with q-tips soaked in Floquil airbrush thinner. This leaves the weathering colors in the low spots, around doors/louvers and also ages the base colors overall. Another thing I did was to do this initial weathering with the shell separate from the walkway. This allowed me to weather the walkways more heavily than the rest. After this initial weathering, the rest is pretty standard with light dustings of weathering colors with an airbrush.

Date: 10/29/06 09:51
Author: cabinman

Very nice work! We like it! Keith Turley/Details West

Date: 10/29/06 12:06
Author: myoungwisc

Looking good Noah! What other projects do you have up your sleeve? Sorry we didnt catch up at WPM, I had your magazine with me.

Martin

Date: 10/30/06 20:51

Martin,
Sorry I missed out on WPM this year, had some health issues. Taking a break from diesel modeling right now to work on the layout. Still have to model the other half of the Dolly sisters when I get back to it. Just like anyone, too many projects, so little time.

Noah

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds