Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > Confessions from Burlington John

Date: 07/03/07 21:24
Confessions from Burlington John
Author: burlingtonjohn

Every year around the 4th of July here on Trainorders, it seems that folks come out of the woodwork to post pictures of red/white/blue locomotives, be they from the various railroads that had bicentennial painted power, the American Freedom Train, etc. As a young pup of 13 years old during the 1976 celebration, I was quite taken by the various paint schemes that the railroads came up with. The BN bicentennial units were frequent visitors to this area, and I was able to visit the AFT in St. Louis in April of 1976, with 4449 on the point.

I must confess that it was love at first sight. At the time, 4449 was the first operable mainline steam locomotive that I had ever seen. I know the SP purists out there are going to have a coronary over this, but I think the r/w/b colors of the American Freedom Train was the best scheme ever worn by 4449. Even though I am a die hard fan of all things Burlington Route, 4449 holds a special place in my heart to this day.

Pleasantly enough, the model makers out there seem to recognize that the bicentennial paint craze is not just a passing fad ... two of the three AFT steamers are available in their r/w/b schemes. Several manufacturers have produced bicentennial diesels, with more on the way. I have even gone so far as to place an order for the Athearn model of BN 1776. Those of you that know me might be aghast over this, but my acquaintance with BN 1776 goes way back. Here is hoping that Athearn sees fit to do BN 1876 and BN 1976. These will be the only BN power allowed on my layout!

Anyway, as I said, July 4th always seems to bring out the r/w/b posts on TO and why should things be any different this year, especially for us modelers. Shot this evening on my layout (that is obviously still under construction) is my lineup of patriotic power.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/03/07 21:42
Re: Confessions from Burlington John
Author: stivmac

Nothing wrong with a bit of flag waving on the Glorious Fourth! Just stay away from Mayour Al's donuts or there'll be some REAL fireworks!

Date: 07/03/07 21:57

Trust me Stiv, I am watching my tires closely perchance that da Mayor and GGG might be lurking in the vicinity!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/04/07 08:38
Author: ssw

Could we see a closer shot of the '47 Freedom Train? Is it just a locomotive or the whole train?

It's on my list of things to model, as i have found photos of it here in Waco, TX. Turns out that the Freedom Train and GM Train of Tomorrow were in Waco on the SAME DAY!

Bradley Linda
Waco, Texas

Date: 07/04/07 08:59
One of the most Patriotic schemes...
Author: CentralVARR

even if it was originally Canadian. These scheme is my favorite of all the leasers on the railroads. Nothing is more Patriotic than a red white and blue locomotive! HLCX 6204 Ex-BCR works Old Dominion Foods on my HO scale Virginia Midland/ Virginia Central unfinished layout.

Shannon Crabtree

Date: 07/04/07 10:52

ssw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could we see a closer shot of the '47 Freedom
> Train? Is it just a locomotive or the whole
> train?
>
> It's on my list of things to model, as i have
> found photos of it here in Waco, TX. Turns out
> that the Freedom Train and GM Train of Tomorrow
> were in Waco on the SAME DAY!
>
> Bradley Linda
> Waco, Texas

It is just the locomotive. The complete train is a "one of these days" projects. Here is another angle, let me know if you need more!

Happy 4th,
Burlington John

Date: 07/04/07 20:32
Author: ssw

Thanks burlingtonjohn!
That's a good looking PA you've got there.

Like I said, the whole train is on my list to do too :-P

Date: 07/05/07 09:36
Author: steeplecab

> I have even gone so far as to place an order for
> the Athearn model of BN 1776.

I think you mean Atlas, don't you?<G> You'll have to let us know how it looks after you get it. I was very tempted myself, but was able to resist.

Dano
HY

Date: 07/05/07 14:59

steeplecab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I have even gone so far as to place an order
> for
> > the Athearn model of BN 1776.
>
> I think you mean Atlas, don't you? You'll have to
> let us know how it looks after you get it. I was
> very tempted myself, but was able to resist.
>
> Dano
> HY

Ooops. My bad. I was so nervous about actually ordering a BN painted locomotive ... afraid my local CB&Q buddies were going to throw me off the island if they found out!

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/05/07 16:13
Author: stivmac

At least you dind't order a BinSniff or (GASPING OUT LOUD) an Uncle Pete! They might have ordered oyu of the PLANET!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0618 seconds