Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for cheap sound decoder?

Date: 10/23/07 22:20
Looking for cheap sound decoder?
Author: sphauler

I have a HO Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 and Iam looking to install a nice sounding decoder for around $50 bucks. Ive been looking at MRC and soundtrax but I haven't heard either of them. I know if I fork out the $100 or so for the Tsunami I would get a lot better decoder but I don't want to do that. Any suggestions?
Question; Are the MRC speakers that come with the decoder any good? Also I like when the sound is just heard where the locomotive is running not on the other side of the room, does the MRC or soundtrax have several sound volume settings?

Date: 10/24/07 06:23
Re: Looking for cheap sound decoder?
Author: Tony_Cook

I haven't installed one yet, but Digitrax just came out with its Sound Bug sound decoder and it would be in your requested $50 range. You would also need a DCC decoder make it work, so add another $25...

http://docscaboose-online.stores.yahoo.net/disode.html

Again, haven't done one myself yet. Has anyone else programmed and used the Digitrax Sound Bug?

Date: 10/24/07 16:51
Author: rschonfelder

What does Santa Claus, the Bogeyman and a Cheap Sound decoder have in common?

Answer: None of them are real.

Rick in Oz

Date: 10/24/07 19:05
Author: ESPEE5318

When it comes to sound decoder's (and most other things) you get what you pay for, a $50 sound decoder is going to give you $50 results......Joe

Date: 10/24/07 20:17
Author: barrydraper

Use the Soundtraxx, I assume you are talking about the DSD series. They are old technology but still very good decoders for the price. You will not be happy if you get an MRC, they do not play nice and have three sound volumes: Loud, Louder, and Loudest! I had to add a resistive pad to get the volume down, but I still don't like the control or the horn sound (on an MRC 1634).

Barry Draper

Date: 10/24/07 20:26
Author: sphauler

barrydraper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use the Soundtraxx, I assume you are talking
> about the DSD series. They are old technology but
> still very good decoders for the price. You will
> not be happy if you get an MRC, they do not play
> nice and have three sound volumes: Loud, Louder,
> and Loudest! I had to add a resistive pad to get
> the volume down, but I still don't like the
> control or the horn sound (on an MRC 1634).
>
> Barry Draper

Yea the MRC decoders on the Athearn Genesis F7s are exactly that way. An A-B-B-A set together can cause a man to go deaf or close to it after a short time. I was hoping not all of their decoders are like that.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds