Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Model Railroading > Selective Compression-How far should you take it?

Date: 12/03/07 10:17
Selective Compression-How far should you take it?
Author: PARKCITY

I am planning my layout which is a 1942 depiction of Union Pacific's Park City Branch. I am debating on what features I want to model in Park City and what to leave out based on space constraints. The focus of the layout is Union Pacific's operations into Park City. In the attached picture I have circled some items in red. From left to right. UP Depot, Lumber Dealer, Silver King Ore House, and the D&RGW water tower. D&RGW also served Park City and their depot is circled in yellow. The green line shows where UP later built a large ore ramp to use for dump trucks dumping into rail cars. If you were to stand trackside at the bottom of the picture, which is where the aisle would be on the layout, the D&RGW depot would be obstructed by the ore ramp. I am thinking that I do not want to model the D&RGW depot, is this going to kill the scene? The D&RGW depot presents some problems in that I can't find any plans and the pictures are scarce making modeling the depot difficult. I guess I could build a stand in. Am I using too much selective compression?

Jason

Date: 12/03/07 10:24
Re: Selective Compression-How far should you take it?
Author: santafedan

The two different railroad stations make a great situation. Two different liverys and equipment for the passenger trains. I might forget the ramp. Since it came later, you are just modeling the time before it went in.

Date: 12/03/07 10:48
Re: Selective Compression-How far should you take it?
Author: TopcoatSmith

I agree, if you model it before the ramp you should include it. Looking at it I don't see a ton of hard to replicate details on this side of the depot so a shallow, up-against-the-backdrop stand in would work fine. The same could be said if you model it post-ramp, all you really need are the roof and back side with a little bit of the ends to make it look "right".

TCS - it's all about the visuals man

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds