Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Model Railroading > Digitrax F40PH sound decoder

Date: 06/26/08 11:56
Digitrax F40PH sound decoder
Author: kecarden

What are your guys take on the Digitrax F40PH Sound Decoder? is sound sound as close to prototype or is Loksound better. Or should I wait and see who else produce the sound.

I forgot to mention can I installed this decoder in a PFM Brass unit inwhich it does have plenty of room on the inside so I can fit a bigger speaker if that possible

I have 3 PFM Brass Amtrak F40PH Units is it possible to use the drop in for the KATO F40 on the brass models or do I need to use another model decoder

Thanks for any inputs

Date: 06/26/08 13:02
Re: Digitrax F40PH sound decoder
Author: Frank30

I'm a big SoundTraxx fan. However, the Digitrax for the F40PH is a snap to
install in the Kato engine and the sounds are great. It even has a function button to simulate the older F40's that did not have a separate
motor for HEP, so the prime mover is always running at full tilt. In the
model as well as on the platform at Boston's South Station, the noise is
incredibly loud. I don't believe there is another sound decoder available
for this particular application. I recently purchased my first engine
(Stewart/Bowser) with Loksound..it leaves a lot to be desired!

Date: 06/26/08 13:33
Author: northridgeswitcher

Digitrax...Easy Install, Good Quality And Great Sound.

Date: 06/26/08 14:06
Author: tmurray

The sound is nothing like an F40.

The loksound can easily be reprogrammed and a correct 645, bell and K5LA can be added. You can also add a feature for the HEP, granted, it's work to do so. Digitrax also allows for a reprogramming, but the software is far less user friendly. One of the issues with the Digitrax decoder is that only three sounds can be used at one time. While this may not sound like a huge problem, that means if you hit the dynamics - as HEP- you can't ring the bell and sound the horn. ESU allows four sounds at one time. Soundtraxx are good sounding decoders, but are getting dated and aren't programmable.

If you want a cheap, easy install noisemaker in a Kato F40, the Digitrax decoder works but accurate, it's not (then again, neither is the Kato F40).

-Tom

Date: 06/26/08 20:16
Author: RailThunder

I've installed Lok Sounds in three KATO F40PHs, and as an experiment I had two additional KATO F40PHs equipped with the Digitrax sound decoders with the modified F40PH sound files off the Digitrax lists.

The modified sound files were great on the Digitrax, however as Tom stated they could not handle more than three functions at once and quickly started giving me problems. They literally would overload, go quiet and the train would literally come to a stop. VERY FRUSTRATING! Also I didn't like the decoder as much in terms of motor control i.e. higher starting speed and a little jerky. On the contrary, the Lok Sound has performed flawlessly with great motor control. While I agree they don't sound like an F40PH, upgrading them to a 645 engine is not a big deal as I understand it. The original runs of the Lok Sound had issues with the horn not being loud enough. I actually found a nice benefit in that when two of the F40PHs are run together, the lead unit can be muted and the horn and bell will work just fine and loud.

Just my two cents worth, but my Lok Sound equipped F40PHs have earned their keep and sound great. Tom I would love to hear how you added the HEP feature.

Regards,
Howard

Date: 06/26/08 20:24
Author: ESPEE5318

I would take the LOK over the digitrax and day of the week but the digitrax F40ph decoder is pretty nice for the price, is it the best ? NO but for the price and ease of install it is a good deal..........Joe

Date: 06/27/08 20:43
Author: brassmag

It's the usual "you get what you pay for" here. I had a Digitrax and it sounded ok to me. After hearing Loksound, I removed and sold it. I use manual notching on the Lok and make my HEP run full tilt. Lok has a better drive system to boot. Personally, I would install a Lok in the lead unit and less-expensive Soundtraxx EMD 2nd Generation or the Digitrax in the trailing units for idle effect.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds