Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Model Railroading > ExactRail arrives

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/16/09 15:44
ExactRail arrives
Author: tunnelmotor40

Not withstanding all the hoop-la, web site pit falls, etc. I got my three (actually four) ExactRail cars today. I ordered two of the SP Excess Height PC&F single door boxcars and one in WC. The bonus fouth car is a promotional car in blue and yellow with the ExactRail logo to the left, a reporting mark of EXRC 2008, and on the right, 'The Next Generation of Model Railroading' and below that, their web site (www.ExactRail.com). When I opened the box and saw four boxes, I thought there was a mistake, however, it appears these folks are giving a free 'promotional/collector's/whatever you call it' boxcar!! Man, this is too much. Never expected this at all . . . I am impressed. Also included was a nice note excusing their delivery problems at start up. It states "Dear valued customer, On behalf of the ExactRail team, it is with great privilege that I welcdome you to our exciting new world-ExactRail...The Next Generation of Model Railroading! Specifically, we deeply appreciate your patience during this past week as we overcame some unforseen challenges with our order fulfillment system. Here forth, we are humbled by your strong support and look forward to high-balling the main with each of you-our fellow railroading enthusiasts. With many thanks, welcome to ExactRail!" It was signed by Chris Clune-CEO of ExactRail.

As for a brief overview of the boxcars . . . they are indeed beautiful. I would place them on a par with the current Athearn Genesis and InterMtn series. I compared it to a recently purchased Athearn RTR 50-ft PC&F plug door boxcar (which I am told is a Genesis w/o the Genesis trucks). Packaging is similar, except for colors. The tray inside that the car rests in is about identical. Tooling is again, nearly identical, with minor differences in underbody detail, and placement of air valves, etc. Overall, the underbody detail is well executed and not prone to snagging on anything. Trucks are very similar to those offered by Kato or InterMtn, but a lot more rugged than InterMtn. They even have molded in brake shoes! Again, metal wheels are the norm, as are Accumate (?) #58-style couplers on extended draft gear. Details are separately applied, to include grab irons, ladders, brake wheel and mechanism, and etched metal walk way at each end. I found no glue smears or any blemishes around these; their placement being very clean and crisp. Stenciling is crisp and readable. Paint is smooth with no blemishes. The metal wheels roll freely and track well through all my switches. As for price . . . that's subjective, but in my opinion, well worth it, certainly given the high quality we've come to see/expect from our manufacturers. Incidentally, these RTR cars also come in kit form for those with lots of time on their hands. Price for these is around $10.00 less than the RTR.

For a first offering, I am very impressed and look forward to many more items from ExactRail. I have the Vert-A-Pack coming, which should be here by the end of the week.

Jim

Date: 02/16/09 17:19
Re: ExactRail arrives
Author: atsfman

I got my two cars also. And none of the dire predictions of the characters on the Atlas forum came true. Prices weren't changed, merchandise wasn't diverted, etc and all. They are indeed very nice, and look really good in with the Tangent covered hoppers I have already gone overboard over.

Nice job.

Bob

Date: 02/16/09 17:27
Author: parkcity

The people on the Atlas forumn complain more than any group of people I have ever met. Especially those who predicted gloom and doom about some of the terms and conditions. In my opinion some people over there just look for things to complain about. Enough on that. Post some pictures of your new cars.

Jason

Date: 02/16/09 19:37
Author: glendale

parkcity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The people on the Atlas forumn complain more than
> any group of people I have ever met. Especially
> those who predicted gloom and doom about some of
> the terms and conditions. In my opinion some
> people over there just look for things to complain
> about. Enough on that. Post some pictures of
> your new cars.
>
> Jason

I just recieved an email from the exactrail vp today noting that my order will ship tomorrow. I was order 44. So I think some of the complaining on atlas is justified.

Date: 02/16/09 20:15
Author: tracktime

I'm very pleased with the cars that I ordered which arrived today. Three PC&F 6033 cu. ft. boxcars, the bonus car, and a chip gon. I look forward to making a follow-up order for a Vert-a-Pac and another chip gon or two very soon. I can't wait to see their next products whenever they are ready..

Cheers,
Harry

Date: 02/16/09 23:54
Author: rschonfelder

Is there any international customers of this company on here? I am just wondering about whether they adjusted their MONSTROUS rates for shipping overseas. They only offered Fedex and *that* is unnecessary. I would have been order #1 or 2 but for the choking I got at checkout time.

Rick

Date: 02/17/09 00:56
Author: chris484trains

Morning from the other side of the Pond!

First off, any of you guys who have received their product want to post some 'action' shots - be good to see these models actually on a layout - Bruce F have you got yourself any????

Secondly, I am also put off by the Fedex option and have emailed asking about shipping abroad, but am still awaiting a response. I suspect they have been a tad drowned by the level of response to their product, so am prepared to wait a few more days for an answer!!!

Exciting times for HO modellers, and the quality of these models almost takes your mind off the nose diving economy!

Cheers

CC

Date: 02/17/09 01:04
Author: sasquatch0000

ExactRail is exaxctly what we needed. Since Athearn gave up on the high-end in rolling stock, there has been a serious pent-up demand looming for these kind of quality models in plastic. It's too bad that Athearn got burned on their initial runs of Genesis rolling stock because they overproduced. We might have had a lot more high quality offerings by this time. Don't expect ExactRail to start out too big as this would possibly lead to their failure too. Allow them to grow as demand permits. Understand that any new venture has to grow into itself.

Great success to ExactRail!

Cheers! MARK

Date: 02/17/09 05:41
Author: brfriedm

There are very few people on the Atlas board who actually do any type of modeling. There are 10 people on the HO board who post continuously and stir up trouble. I am convinced these people stay at their computer 24 hours a day. They have a toilet built into their chair and their computer sits alongside a window next to their driveway so the Domino's delivery guy can hand the pizza through the window so they do not have to leave their desk. :) I think Exactrail has done a wonderful job with their initial releases. I just wish there was something that I could buy but their focus is more West coast or an earlier time then I model. Hoping for some modern stuff I can get that runs on the east coast. (Modern reefers)

Bruce

atsfman Wrote:
> I got my two cars also. And none of the dire
> predictions of the characters on the Atlas forum
> came true. Prices weren't changed, merchandise
> wasn't diverted, etc and all. They are indeed
> very nice, and look really good in with the
> Tangent covered hoppers I have already gone
> overboard over.
>
> Nice job.
>
> Bob

Date: 02/17/09 05:47
Author: atsfman

Bruce: those western PCF cars did/do travel the continent. I do have a hunch that Exacrail will rise above the riff raff on Atlas who seem to want them to fail (for whatever reason) and produce more quality stuff. I am correct that your CSX is current day?

Since I model the Santa Fe in Oklahoma, circa 1989-90, the largest number of freight cars on my layout are covered hoppers for grain hauling. Tangent is doing a great job with theirs, despite the boo birds, and I have hope that they will continue and that ExactRail will also become a real player.

I had to laugh at your comment on those who make a career on Atlas. I spend quite a bit of the day at the computer, but I am working on sermons, bulletins, newsletters, etc for the most part, and slip over to the forums for comic relief at various times. Atlas has gotten very funny lately, but they still get my ire and blood pressure up at times.

Oh, someone asked for photos on a layout. I don't do photos, mine never turn out so I have to depend on the guys here in Kansas City taking shots, then letting me post them on my website. If you have been out there, you will be able to distinguish the photos I took from those taken by others.

Bob

Date: 02/17/09 05:51
Author: brfriedm

Yeah I'm current day CSX Bob. I am also loving these new companies that are producing awesome product and shipping right away. I agree that Tangent is a keeper. Their cars are rolling museum quality rolling stock. Enjoy the Exactrail cars. Post some pictures!

Bruce

atsfman Wrote:
> Bruce: those western PCF cars did/do travel the
> continent. I do have a hunch that Exacrail will
> rise above the riff raff on Atlas who seem to want
> them to fail (for whatever reason) and produce
> more quality stuff. I am correct that your CSX is
> current day?
>
> Since I model the Santa Fe in Oklahoma, circa
> 1989-90, the largest number of freight cars on my
> layout are covered hoppers for grain hauling.
> Tangent is doing a great job with theirs, despite
> the boo birds, and I have hope that they will
> continue and that ExactRail will also become a
> real player.
>
> Bob

Date: 02/17/09 07:10
Author: CR4122

Yeah a whole lot more modeling on here...
TO Sunday Photo Fun 2/15/09(idea copied from Atlas) One modeler posted photos.
Atlas Sunday Photo Fun 2/15/09, 15 modelers posted Photos.

brfriedm Wrote:
> There are very few people on the Atlas board who
> actually do any type of modeling. There are 10
> people on the HO board who post continuously and
> stir up trouble. I am convinced these people stay
> at their computer 24 hours a day. They have a
> toilet built into their chair and their computer
> sits alongside a window next to their driveway so
> the Domino's delivery guy can hand the pizza
> through the window so they do not have to leave
> their desk. :) I think Exactrail has done a
> wonderful job with their initial releases. I just
> wish there was something that I could buy but
> their focus is more West coast or an earlier time
> then I model. Hoping for some modern stuff I can
> get that runs on the east coast. (Modern reefers)
>
> Bruce
>
>
>
>
> atsfman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I got my two cars also. And none of the dire
> > predictions of the characters on the Atlas
> forum
> > came true. Prices weren't changed, merchandise
> > wasn't diverted, etc and all. They are indeed
> > very nice, and look really good in with the
> > Tangent covered hoppers I have already gone
> > overboard over.
> >
> > Nice job.
> >
> > Bob

Date: 02/17/09 07:31
Author: CIOR

Come on guys. Why would anyone want a company to fail?
I cheer Exact on, wish them the best. Probably will get a few of their cars. I like Tangent and wish him luck also.

Date: 02/17/09 08:14

Like Homer Simpson said, "You can use statistics to prove anything." We are still cooler over here and that's all that matters.

Jason

CR4122 Wrote:
> Yeah a whole lot more modeling on here...
> TO Sunday Photo Fun 2/15/09(idea copied from
> Atlas) One modeler posted photos.
> Atlas Sunday Photo Fun 2/15/09, 15 modelers posted
> Photos.
>

Date: 02/17/09 16:30
Author: drolsen

atsfman Wrote:
> Bruce: those western PCF cars did/do travel the
> continent. I do have a hunch that Exacrail will
> rise above the riff raff on Atlas who seem to want
> them to fail (for whatever reason) and produce
> more quality stuff. I am correct that your CSX is
> current day?

Bruce - To add to what Bob said, check out the Wisconsin Central cars as an excuse to add at least once of these PC&F cars to your layout. Here's some recent shots from your area of the country (granted, most of the shots are from IL/IN/WI, but all you need is one excuse, right?):

WC 29014 at Shenandoah, VA August 2007:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=864441

WC 29019 at Harrisonburg, VA July 2007:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=900072

WC 29036 at Harrisonburg, VA September 2008:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1337242

I just opened up my package from ExactRail - two SP and one undec PC&F - received word it shipped on 11 Feb and got it today. I was a little disappointed that I didn't receive the promotional car - I've never gotten anything like that before. I placed a second order (for another undec and some trucks) that is a couple days behind this one.

I'll write up a review to add to Jim's and post it in another day or so.

Dave

Date: 02/17/09 17:26
Author: fjc

Like all things in life, it's always a minority of folks that cause the most noise, while the majority are happy with what we have and appreciate the efforts put forth by others to make the hobby what it is today.

I just take the constant whiners with a grain of salt, I like Bruces analogy of someone hiding behind their computer, ording pizza and having a crapper tied into it all, hehe.

Date: 02/17/09 18:00

If anyone has trouble imagining that then you need to see the South Park episode where they become addicted to World of War Craft.

fjc Wrote:
> Like all things in life, it's always a minority of
> folks that cause the most noise, while the
> majority are happy with what we have and
> appreciate the efforts put forth by others to make
> the hobby what it is today.
>
> I just take the constant whiners with a grain of
> salt, I like Bruces analogy of someone hiding
> behind their computer, ording pizza and having a
> crapper tied into it all, hehe.

Date: 02/17/09 19:58
Author: fjc

There was something simliar on CSI Miami where these gamers were addicted to playing a shoot'em up game, which some of them turned into a real life scenario for points.

parkcity Wrote:
> If anyone has trouble imagining that then you need
> to see the South Park episode where they become
> addicted to World of War Craft.
>

Date: 02/17/09 23:56
Author: choochoocharlie

As to the Tangent model grain hoppers.............do you know who tooled the molds for those cars? I do. And believe it was mentioned in the first ExactRail thread.

C.C.Chas.

Date: 02/18/09 00:12
Author: tracktime

choochoocharlie Wrote:
> As to the Tangent model grain
> hoppers.............do you know who tooled the
> molds for those cars? I do. And believe it was
> mentioned in the first ExactRail thread.
>
> C.C.Chas.

Yup. It was Chris Clune & Co. - the CEO of ExactRail.

Cheers,
Harry

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1679 seconds