Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Model Railroading > Paragon2 Engines

Date: 07/29/09 19:55
Paragon2 Engines
Author: WOPRJim

Got an Email today from Factory Direct Trains advertsing a sale on Paragon2 AC6000 engines. It looks like they are made by Broadway Limited. It looks like a good deal; are these any good?
Jim

Date: 07/29/09 21:04
Re: Paragon2 Engines
Author: cchan006

Since the price wasn't mentioned, I looked it up, and for a sound-equipped DCC engine, sure, it's a good deal. It's not my thread so I'll let the OP post the price, or people can get baited voluntarily and check it out themselves. :-)

I bought a UP unit, before this batch was released earlier this year, and paid a bit more money, even though it was clearance price. Instructions said I don't need to oil the unit, but I did, because the drive axles squeaked the first time out. Except for two decoder resets I had to perform to get it running again, the unit runs fine, pulls fine, and the QSI sound is awesome.

Date: 07/29/09 23:11
Author: barrydraper

Paragon 2 is BLI's own sound decoder, NOT made by QSI. But It's good to hear that you like the sound, I'll been having trouble finding anyone that will even tell if the Paragon 2 decoder is good or bad!

Barry Draper

Date: 07/30/09 07:46
Author: 200chuck

I have two AC6000 Paragon2 engines they very nice and smooth, pull really good & detail quality is good as well. The only complaint I have is over half throttle you will get a high turbine whine, you can against most of this out with CV settings. This is a prototypical sound, but a little harsh for an HO layout. If they would give you a CV setting for the turbine to adjust to your liking it would put this locomotive on the top of my list of cost/quality.

Date: 07/30/09 09:52
Author: cchan006

barrydraper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Paragon 2 is BLI's own sound decoder, NOT made by
> QSI. But It's good to hear that you like the
> sound, I'll been having trouble finding anyone
> that will even tell if the Paragon 2 decoder is
> good or bad!
>
> Barry Draper

And you would be correct. I should have mentioned that my BLI AC6000 is Paragon, not Paragon 2, and that's why it has QSI sound. I have seen Paragon 2 engines running on a club layout, so I might ask him how his engines are so far.

Date: 07/30/09 18:50
Author: SD608708

I ran a Paragon2 AC6000 at a show last weekend and it ran great and the sound is much much better than its sister unit which is an original Paragon AC 6000. The only problem with the new engine is the same as the old engine, it is a power hog. Both of them pull alot of amps.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 08/01/09 19:53
Author: ajy6b

Hopefully I will be able to tell you by October. I have two low-hood SD40-2's in the original Paragon series (QSI sound decoder). I ordered a high hood SD40-2 back in December 2006. Broadway, kept pushing the date back. For last 4 months it looked late July early August was a done deal. Now I have been told as well as my LHS that the expected delivery date is Sept. 30, 2009. So if this holds up, I should be able to do a sound comparison.

aj

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds