Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Model Railroading > Williamsburg, VA Hobby Shops?

Date: 02/27/10 14:11
Williamsburg, VA Hobby Shops?
Author: SVTS

Taking the family to Great Wolf next weekend. Any hobby shops in Williamsburg area?

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 02/27/10 17:39
Re: Williamsburg, VA Hobby Shops?
Author: emd_mrs1

Afraid not.

Several great ones around Baltimore, but nothing any good is closer. Nothing much on the south side (Norfolk, Va Beach) either.

There are a few full-price shops and a 'a few trains in the back corner' shops in the area.

Michael

Date: 02/27/10 18:17

emd_mrs1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Afraid not.
>
> Several great ones around Baltimore, but nothing
> any good is closer. Nothing much on the south
> side (Norfolk, Va Beach) either.
>
> There are a few full-price shops and a 'a few
> trains in the back corner' shops in the area.
>
> Michael

Thanks. I figured as much, as the Walthers site didn't list any. Probally better off I guess. I do enough damage with what I got up here.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 02/28/10 07:52
Author: drolsen

The only hobby shop I know of in central Virginia is Walt's Hobby Shop in Petersburg, where I stopped one time while driving from NC to MD. Someone had recommended it, but I wasn't very impressed. I think it was touted as a place to find unusual or out-of-production stuff, but I didn't find much, and the prices weren't that great. Not near Williamsburg, but it's the only thing I know of south of DC until you get to the Antique Barn and Hobby Shop in NC. I'm kind of surprised Richmond doesn't have anything.

Dave

Date: 02/28/10 12:57

drolsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only hobby shop I know of in central Virginia
> is Walt's Hobby Shop in Petersburg, where I
> stopped one time while driving from NC to MD.
> Someone had recommended it, but I wasn't very
> impressed. I think it was touted as a place to
> find unusual or out-of-production stuff, but I
> didn't find much, and the prices weren't that
> great. Not near Williamsburg, but it's the only
> thing I know of south of DC until you get to the
> Antique Barn and Hobby Shop in NC. I'm kind of
> surprised Richmond doesn't have anything.
>
> Dave

We actually don't go via I-95. For us, it is a quick trip down US 301, then US 17, In fact we only see an interstate for the last 5 miles of our trip. Kind of a nice ride compared to 95. I only know of the place in Ashland, VA as far as Richmond area goes, but it has been a while since I have been in there.

Chris Bogley
Bowie, MD

Date: 03/01/10 10:00
Author: retcsxcfm

Chesterfield Hobbies in Mithalonina,Va.(don't know the spelling) near Richmond and Petersburg.

Uncle Joe

Date: 03/02/10 17:14
Author: rbx551985

There are a couple in the Norfolk area; one is a rather large Lionel dealer at Military Circle Mall (rather large = "if he doesn't have it there at his store, it may not exist"); and the other is a smaller mom-and-pop hobby shop (with lots of HO Scale materials) a few miles from there toward Ocean View. There used to be two in Williamsburg (one was west of there at Norge, actually) -- but, unfortunately, they've both gone out of business. There's two moderate-size hobby shops in the Denbigh area of upper Newport News, one along Jefferson Ave (Rt. 143) and the other over at Denbigh proper, off Warwick Bv. (Rt. 60), but I don't remember their titles. Check in local YELLOW PAGES for all hobby shop listings, and you should find all that currently exist in those areas.

Date: 03/02/10 20:01
Author: emd_mrs1

Chesterfield hobby is in Midlothian, VA. I recall a good selection at retail prices.

In Newport News, Denbigh Hobby is excellent for autos and airplanes and the shop on Jefferson Ave is a chain store (Hobby Town?) with full priced minimal rail inventory. Denbigh hobby has lots of older Athearn Blue Box kits on consignment right now.

While in the area.......

Check out the Ft Eustis Transportation Museum for some rail exhibits, its a dozen miles east of your destination.

There is real steam railroading at Busch Gardens, but its closed for the winter. Come back in late March!

And most important... don't miss Pierces BBQ just down the road from GWL. MMMmmmm. I try to go up there for lunch once a week when I can.

Michael

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/10 20:04 by emd_mrs1.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds