Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Model Railroading > Sandersville covered hoppers

Date: 04/08/10 09:18
Sandersville covered hoppers
Author: SRSD45

I bought me a undecorated Roundhouse FMC covered hopper and wondering what is the best or equivalent off-white paint match in a spray can? I don't have a air brush. Earl...

Date: 04/08/10 13:59
Re: Sandersville covered hoppers
Author: rminer

Whatever color you decide try to go with a flat then gloss coat for decaling. The flat will cover easier and if you give it about 3 or 4 light "dustings" you shouldn't have any runs. In my experience I always had bad luck with glossy paint right out of the can with running issues.

Date: 04/08/10 14:09
Author: toledopatch

Is the Roundhouse FMC a proper model for a Sandersville car? I thought their hoppers were smaller than that.

Date: 04/08/10 18:01
Author: NSTopHat

Your best bet for color, as a starting point, is Scalecoat II's UP Hopper Car Gray, and weathering it from there, in order to lighten it up, if you're using a spray can.

For those wondering, Southern and Sanderville, bought 4,000 cf Pullman Standard 3 Bay Covered hoppers. The best starting point would be a Intermountain 4,750 cf 3 Bay Covered Hopper. You will need to reduce the overall length by ~7'-2". The height of the 4,000 cf car is also lower to the ground, to where the side sill would be 3'-8" above teh rail head. You would need to slice two sides together to get the right height. Car width, in scale would remain the same.

At one point, on Highball Graphics website there was a how-to article on this car, as they have produced the decals.

Hope this helps.

NSTopHat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0282 seconds